2011 MILEAGE REPORT

The place to discuss anything under the sun.
shoresr

2011 MILEAGE REPORT

Post by shoresr »

1,209,282 TOTAL MILES TURNED IN SO FAR ( 1/19/12 I think it is time to quit. Write down your starting mileage for 2012 in your maintenance log. Yes if you send in mileage I will log it.)

CALLING ALL ROMEOs, the 2011 riding year is coming to an end. I thought it would be fun if we shared with each other our riding experiences. This is not a contest and there will be no prizes, awards and no audit. I will post the information, if you will send me, 1) approximate miles ridden Jan-Dec 2011, 2) the motorcycles you rode this on—make, model and year, 2) your first name and city, 3) highlights of your riding this year.

Here is a link to what was turned in last year. http://www.romeoriders.com/forums/viewt ... =20&t=1022

You may not think what you have done this year is of interest to anyone, but I think you would be surprised. I am always interested to hear how far guys are riding or if they just go to Romeo lunches, the different bikes guys enjoy riding, some are new, some old, some big, some small, and most of all where did you go this year. Maybe you just went to Eskridge, KS or maybe to Alaska. Please share no matter how grand or how small everyone will enjoy. Send info to Roger, twowheels2eat@yahoo.com

?@#$% 1966 Triumph Bonneville...Junior K. ...Independence, MO
2005 BMW R1200RT - favorite for long distance rides...owned for 6 years
1978 BMW R100/7 - favorite around town and for short rides...owner for 17 years
1973 1/2 BMW R75/5 - go bike - not ridden for 16 years...owned for 30 years!!!
1966 Triumph Bonneville - sits around looking pretty...owned for 30 years!!!
1971 BMW R75/5 - currently rehabing from basket case...owned for 2 years
1974 BMW R90/6 - newly acquired, complete-runs-needs a lot
Thanks Junior and Ginger January 1, 2012

?^%*# miles...2001 BMW K1200RS...Larry J. ...Mission, KS
Roger, Glad to hear from you. I have been hiding from the cold & wet. (I know, LIGHT WEIGHT!)
I really haven't put many miles on the bikes this year. I will be going to my sisters for Christmas
in western Kansas, weather permitting. In a car!
Have a happy holiday.

983 miles...1991 Honda Gold Wing w/Trikes Unlimited Conversion...Lyle A. ..Ft. Scott, KS
2011 estimated miles 983...yes just 983...but they were fun ones!
Thanks for your time with all this and especially sharing the photos.
Lyle

2,200 miles...1999 Yamaha Road Star....Tony M. ...Kansas City, KS

2,300 miles...Harley Davidson Soft Tail Deluxe...John C. ...Kansas City, KS

2,500 miles...2006 Yamaha Royal Star Venture...Jim M. ...Leavenworth, KS
Well, I only managed to put on just over 2500 mi this year (time for an oil change). I had quite a bit of cardiac and diabetic trouble. The cardiac is pretty well taken care of but the diabetes doesn't like being controlled and kicked my butt pretty hard. I'm NOT giving up on it.
We are trying to get rolling ASAP in the motor home to AZ for 2-3 months. We tow the pickup and I might load the bike in it to ride some out there. I HOPE.
I'll follow the email and ROMEO web site while away and I plan to see you all in the spring.
Take care, Jim

3000 miles...Honda Gold Wing GL1800...George M. ...Overland Park, KS
Good morning Roger,
Well, it sure seemed many more miles than I can recollect. Possibly because I enjoy riding so very much. However, what I calculate is only 3000 miles for 2011.
The doctor says my right eye is approximately 87 % recovered. He has released me to drive. My next appointment is February 2012. The doctor has released me to drive.
I feel good. But I haven't had the Honda out since August.
And I scan the photos of the Romeo rides you publish looking for familiar faces. Thanks for the reports.
Blessings.
Later, George

3,200 miles...2007 Yamaha V-Star (FIRST BIKE)...Tom H....(City and State requested)
3,200 miles, 2007 Yamaha V-Star, 1st bike. When I took the MSF course they asked each of us why we wanted to learn to ride. I said, "So I can join the Romeos".

3,399 miles...2006 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic...Kent...Shawnee, KS
2006 Harley Ultra, Shawnee, KS. Cindy and I rode the Harley through Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama & got on the Natchez Trace and ended up in Natchez, Mississippi. Saw as many battlefields that we could, and went further south to Baton Rouge, MS on the Mississippi River to explore as many antebellum plantations that we could fine. Came home through Memphis and Arkansas. Trip was around 2,399 miles, and probably another 1,000 here and there. By the way, Cindy has bought a bike. Harley 883 SuperLow. She passed the school and now has to learn to ride. She'll get there. Will be riding tomorrow. Should be around 55 degrees. Kent

3,414 miles...2003 Kawasaki VN750...Harold "Merrill...Hoyt, KS
Harold "Merrill" I got my first bike a 03 kawasaki vn 750 after a 30 year layoff at the age of 65 at the last of june put on 3,414 miles with 13 romeo rides and that great trip to the Hub.

4,000...2009 BMW 1300 GT...Don G. ...Kansas City, MO

4,500 miles Honda Gold Wing (new white trike this fall)...Craig M. ...Independence, MO
Hi Roger,
I didn't keep good records this year so my best conservative estimate would be 4,500 miles.
I hope to excel in distance in 2012 since the youngest grandbaby is now in pre-school and Gayle & I have a little more freedom to get away.
Maybe we can ride together in the near future.
Merry Christmas
Craig

5,000 miles Honda Gold Wing ...Bob L. ... Wichita, KS
Sorry Folks; But I haven't done much riding this year. I don't feel as if I have contributed much to your contest, maybe 5,000 miles . Starting in Jan. 2012 I will write down my millage so I can see what I am doing. Bob

5,000 miles...(many)...Mel S. (senior KC Romeo 84!!)...Adrian, MO
Hi Roger,
Just a note to let you know Harold Brokaw is in St. Mary's hospital in Blue Springs, Mo. and has been there several days and is still in ICU. I talked with his wife this evening and she said he had a bad day today but was hoping that he would have a better one tomorrow. I have an appointment in Independence tomorrow to see about a Hernia and plan to go see Harold after my appointment.
I checked my milage for the year and didn't have as good records as I thought but the best I could tell I only rode 5,000 miles this year. That didn't include the miles I put on the Gyro!! The float in the Carb failed on it this fall and couldn't find one anyplace and George Lowe furnished me with a Carb that had one in it that would fit and I really appreciated him getting it for me. He told me he had it at the meeting in Harrisonville.
Hope you and yours have a Merry Christmas, both my girls are coming again and I am looking forward to that. Finally have an appointment with my cancer doctor the 3d of January to read the results of the biopsy of my last EGD. The pictures they took the day of the exam looked good, my voice hasn't improved any and they say they can fix that with minor surgery and I sure intend to discuss that with him the 3d of January!!
Sincerly, Mel

5,400 miles...2001 Honda Gold Wing...Frank "Polish Prince"...Kansas City, KS
Well we only check mileage for oil changes. So in April was first change of year. September we change it with 4300 miles for the summer. Just checked it and have put 1200 on since september. Other than Romeo rides we did make a loop down through Arkansas and northern Texas back through eastern Oklahoma. Don't recall how far this ride was but it was what we live for. HAPPY TRAILS

6000 miles...2002 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic...Mike & Linda W. ..Peculiar, MO
Mike and Linda, living happily on the rural Missouri gravel/mud roads outside Peculiar- 6,000 miles 2002 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic, also occasionally seen riding the 85 Ironhead Sportster, or the 73 Superglide/shovelhead.....but the older I get the more often I opt for the comfort of the Ultra.
Most of the miles are running daily errands anytime I can fit the stuff on the bike......it will hold an amazing amount of groceries, car parts, and hardware items to keep the house in shape.
Many of those miles are Romeo lunches, when my part time work doesn't get in the way. We made it to the Romeo Rendezvous in March, that was great fun.
We just rolled over 50,000 miles, bought it new on our 28th wedding anniversary, 24 November 2001.....love that geezer glide.
2pzwjns.jpg
My Honda 160 back in 71. I was 18, had been riding grandfather's bikes for three years, and finally convinced them to let me buy my own. Mike

6,000 miles...1989 Honda Gold Wing...Ron B. ..Lenexa, KS
Roger, this is my mileage for 2011, including a trip to Colorado, and several trips to Missouri, Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma on my 1989 Goldwing; mileage approx. 6000 miles. Ron B

6,100 miles...1996 Honda Gold Wing...Norman...Basehor, KS
I had to guess the miles somewhat because I sold my 89 wing and got A 96 wing I rode 4280 miles on the 96 we made a couple of trips to ARK, OLK,TX plus the Romeo rides and a few short rides in MO as close as I can tell I rode about 6100 miles . Norman (Buckshot) Basehor ks

6,500 miles...2004 Burgmann 400 & 1997 BMW 1100...Ben C. ...Ottawa, KS

6,580 miles...2002 Honda Gold Wing GL1800...Manfred S. ...Belton, MO
I wish I had more miles to report

7000 miles...2010 HD Ultra...Bob H. CALIFORNIA (Bob moved from Raymore, MO to California this year. Good Report Bob and it is good to hear from you.)
Roger
Odometer on the 2010 Ultra is sitting at 13,500 miles. I bought it in June 2010, and I think I put about half of those miles on it each of the 2 years I have owned it. So put me down for 7000 this year. Your mileage will never be approachable for most people, but it is really a milestone. I think I saw 98K on your odometer a few weeks ago-not bad for less than 3 years.

No, the riding season for us is not over! Linda and I rode a few days ago down to Hollister for lunch. About 130 miles r/t. We ate at Johnny’s, the “unofficial” hq. of the motorcycle rioters in 1947. Recall, their story inspired the movie “The Wild One”, starring Marlon Brando.
We have enjoyed a lot of riding out here these past 4 months, and look forward to continued year-round riding. In the coldest months here, it would be like a heat wave in KS! Overnight lows can dip to 35, but I am told most winter days reach highs of 50-60. It does rain here in Jan-March, so I will try to avoid that part……. I don’t think we have more than 5 rainy days here since we moved here in August. As the song goes, “it never rains in California”!

We have ridden towards all point on the compass from here.
Towards the north, we rode across the Golden Gate Bridge up to Sausalito (a bucket list item for me!), east towards the Napa Valley, and back south towards Silicon Valley. We oftentimes ride north and then west to Half Moon Bay, a quaint town right on the ocean. Again, most rides are for a meal… Remember, Harley riders “Live to ride, ride to eat”.
We have gone lots of times to Santa Cruz, Monterrey and Carmel, all on the ocean. Morgan Hill and Gilroy are nice rides, too.
We rode up on Skyline Drive a few times, but it is too twisty and hilly, with lots of gravel, for us… Plus, lots of sport bikes are always zooming around us on both sides-just too dangerous!
We have ridden in the foothills around the valley, but again most roads in the foothills are much too twisty and full of gravel in the curves….

We rode a lot in the Chicago area when we lived there, even in the city, but riding here seems to be more challenging. Drivers seem pretty unaware of motorcycle riders, or they just don’t seem to care. Riders here can “split lanes” in slow traffic, which means they can legally ride between the lines of cars stopped or moving slowly. This seems to anger the drivers, so we don’t do that. You never win a fight with a “cager”! After all, we are never in a hurry, and have no appointments!
I have not really found a group with which to ride here yet, but I haven’t spent a lot of time looking. I really enjoy riding alone, or with Linda. I thought about trying to start a ROMEO group here, to mimic Jerry, but it’s a lot of work, and there are lots of groups out here in case I want to find one or two. There are also some really bad groups to avoid!

We continue to really enjoy the proximity of our immediate family here; our daughter and her family are 10 minutes away! I am volunteering at the VA hospital in Palo Alto and I will do tax returns again this year for seniors and low-income people in Santa Clara with AARP Foundation. I also have found a great pool hall, and play pool several times a week. For the first time in my pool-playing career, I encounter players with massive levels of education and intelligence! I usually ask these youngsters which tech firms they work for.. Many work for prominent firms like Apple, Google, Cisco, Facebook and others. Others work for startup companies, and are hoping to be in on the ground floor on the next Google. Many are immigrants from India and all other parts of the world. Several of the Indians have unpronounceable last names. One guy’s last name has 5 syllables…. A couple of players came here from Russia. Typically, they come to the US for education or on temporary work visas, with their goal being to get their green cards and stay.
This is the center of the tech universe, and it has been fun interacting with these people so far. I could be a grandfather to most! One bonus: if I have a computer problem, I know where I can go to ask the question.

There is a huge downside here: the cost of housing. We rent a small one bedroom furnished apt. and pay $1900/month. The same unit in KC would probably rent for 1/3 of that, at best! A home like we sold in Raymore for $188k would cost well over $1million. It is just outrageous!
For that reason, we cannot stay here too long. I told Linda I would give it 3 months and she wanted 2 years. I guess you know who will win that battle!
Other things like gas and food are higher here, too.

Anyway, I have rambled along too much. Feel free to release this to whomever you choose. If anyone gets out this way, they are welcome to sleep on our small couch! I am going to cc Danny, as he lived here for a long time earlier in his career and loved it. Also, I am cc’ing the Cap’n, too. In ending, I always loved riding with the ROMEO’s, and look forward to coming back and doing it again.
Bob

7,400 miles & counting...2005 Honda Shadow 750...45,000 mi. total on 1 Bike...Paul H. ... Lone Jack, MO
Sometimes I ride alone, with my son, with guys from Lone Jack or with my neighbors. Ride to Romeos on Tuesdays and eat so many places I've lost count and names. Next year going to keep a list and mileage of every place I go.
Rode to Nevada MO Bushwacker Days and also rides to Warsaw several times and all over South Missouri (Warrensburg, Sedalia, Cross Timbers, Springfield, Tightwad, Harrisonville, Hermitage & Richmond) into Arkansas (Peel Ferry, Harrison, Fayetteville to BBB Rally, Bentonville, around Ozark National Forest, Mountain View, Jasper, Mountain Home, Eureka Springs, Blanchard Springs Caverns & Dogpatch) on several different rides.
Missed the Hub this year, on into Kansas (Fort Scott, Linn Valley, Spring Hill, lost names of more). Overloads my thinking.
Look forward to many more miles next year in new areas.
Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year

7,500 miles...1990 Honda Gold Wing (Big pretty light blue)...Eddie...Kansas City, KS

8,000 miles...2004 Honda Gold Wing...Dave W. ...Shawnee, KS
First let me thank you for all you do through the year and to wish you and yours a Very Merry Christmas and a healthy and prosperous New Year. Dave (Shawnee), I have my shirt and waiting on a hat (no hurry). Well my mileage wasn't super but you can add 8000 miles to your total. Glacier Nat'l Park MT. got 4000 of them. Might as well put Eddie in there also he clocked in around 7500 mi before his heart attack. He's doing well and chomping at the bit to ride in the spring.

8,000 miles...2007 Harley Davidson FATBOY...Danny D. ...Prairie Village, KS
I did poorly this year although I enjoyed every mile and I figure about 8,000. Last year 25,000 miles.
Happy Holidays!
Danny D

8,000 miles...2009 Harley Davidson Road King...Bob K. ... Claycomo, MO
06-16-11 097.jpg
Since Aug 9 at my first Romeo meet, Edgerton, Mo, 2,653 (21,577 Aug 9 - 24,230 Dec 22). This year close to 8,000. I hope you don't mind, but I've attached some pictures of my best trip this year to Ft Frances, Canada. You might notice I like to take pictures,also, usually with something I find interesting. I stopped in Lynxville, WI and a friend and I rode the Great River Road, Iowa and Wisconsin sides of the MIssissippi then took his 42 ft wooden boat (twin 440's) cruising up and down the Mississippi, then spent the night on it before heading south (3 bedrooms). I stopped in Amamosa, Ia (20,000 milestone) at the motorcycle museum. From there to Pella, Iowa (bakery and windmill) then home. A minor blip for most of the Romeos, but a great trip for me! The big medical scooter was in Rochester, Mn Bob

8068 miles...2003 R1200 CLC...Dave H. ..Olathe, KS (I think)
The 8k this past year is well less than half my normal over the past 10 years or so and sure won’t add much to the 1m+ our Romeo’s have recorded. Besides I didn’t even have time to get half of ‘my stable’ out of the garage. 2012 will be a better year so I’m leaving 2011 in the past!

28’ 101 Scout
47’ Chief
73’ F11
76’ Rokon RTII
02’ Vulcan 500
02’ K1200LT
03’ R1200CLC

Dave…………

9,200 miles...'06 ST1300...Douglas G. ... Columbia, MO
9,200 miles - Douglas G. - Columbia, Mo. (MidMo. Chapter)
All in-State. No trips, about 600 mi. ea. week. On the '06 ST1300

10,000 miles(estimate SWAG)...split on 3 bikes..2010 BMW G650 GS...Swanee L...Topeka, KS
In preparation for retirement spent much of 2011 as a workaholic (the only meetings for this are Staff Meetings and they make it worse). Did no LD trips aside from a quickie to Colorado. Other than that got no farther than southern Missouri on 2 wheels--didn't even make the Baxter Cycle Rally in Iowa which is one of my favorites. Now that I'm retired looking forward to doing better in 2012!

10,000 miles...2009 Honda Silver Wing...Al H. ...Olathe, KS

10,021 miles...2000 BMW R1100 RT...Tricia T...Kansas City, MO

10,150 miles...2009 BMW 1200GS...Keith C. ..DeSoto, KS
1989 Honda Goldwing, 2002 BMW 1150 RT, 2009 BMW 1200 GS, Total 10150 miles.

10,481 miles...2002 BMW...John D. ..Chanute, KS
Alright, alright already!!!! Just to keep the squawking down, here is my mileage for 2011:
2002 BMW - 5,589 miles done mostly on a ride to Northern Colorado in July 2011 ;
1980 CBX - 1,752 miles done mostly at 100 very noisy mph ;
1979 CBX - 1,655 miles all done very quietly last year ;
1982 CB1100RC - 1,485 all done with great pain in my back, but with a smile on my face
Did not ride the CB1100F, the 1982 CBX, the 1969 CB750 Honda, the 1973 CB350F Honda or the 1972 CB450 Honda - hope to catch them up in 2012.
Great report Roger and great planning Klem.
Drive now, talk later

11,000 miles...bikes listed below...Tom K...Shawnee, KS
More than last year due to extenuating circumstances, but not bad. 3 bikes. Rode the KLR to CA for lunch with Bucky (4500 miles), the WI rally at Soldier Grove, the RA Rally at Chippewa Falls, the Franklin rally, Sipau, NM, Potosi, MO, several rides to AR, and many local trips. I hope to make more rides in 2012. I hope Leo has better weather at the Fools in April Rally in AR this year.

11,239 miles...2010 ST 1300 and 2 other bikes...Cary M. .. Derby, KS
2002 Gold Wing-----997 miles. Totaled in accident on 3-21-11
2005 VFR------------- 35 miles. Traded on 2010 ST 1300
2010 ST 1300----10,207 miles since 6-3-11 when I was able to ride again.
Enjoy riding with the ROMEO group.

11,589 Miles...2005 Honda ST1300...Roger S...Wichita, KS
2005 Honda ST1300
2009 Kawasaki KLR650
2004 Suzuki DRZ400S

Mileage from January 1 through Dec. 16 (hey, we’ll have some more riding
weather before year’s end.) Most miles were on the ST1300, a few hundred
on the KLR650 (which traveled to South Padre in the back of the pickup
twice this year,) and the DRZ400 spent most of the year on the Battery
Tender.

No really long trips this year. Mexican Hat, Utah, by way of Moab
(including a ride up and down the Moki Dugway); Indianapolis, my annual
pilgrimage to the MotoGP; and an ST Owners Club rally in Manitou Springs.

11,777 miles...Big Yellow GL1800 Gold Wing Trike...Dave A. ...Lawrence, KS

12,000 miles...1999 Suzuki LC1500...Jack "Grandpa Jack" G....Iola, KS
My mileage is an estimate 12,000 This includes my trip to San Diego, Californa. I also had many trips to Leavenworth, KS and Romeo Rides

12,500 miles...09 BMW RT and an07 Kawasaki KLR...Junior W. ...Oxford, KS

12,890 miles...2011 Honda Gold Wing GL1800...George L. ..Peculiar, MO

12,000 - 15,000 miles Favorite Bike 2006 Triumph Bonneville.... Don "KLEM" D., Wakarusa, KS
Being one of the slowest riders in the group I probably have the least miles. If you ever notice that when we leave for pie usually I'm in the lead. That is because I ride so slow that its the only way everyone knows where I am.
I don't really keep track of miles, but somewhere over 12k and probably not over 15k. I was keeping track of tires, but found that depressing so I just ride and enjoy the day. Like all else in life 100 good miles is more rewarding than a thousand miserable ones.
My favourite bike is most generally the one I am riding. I like simple bikes, sans fairings, radios, and all the "stuff". Some of that is because of my size, the heavy bikes are just more of a problem at rest. But also I like the feeling of less buffer between me and the environment. Granted there are the times that a little more buffer would be welcome. With that said I think my most favourite bike is the one I ride the least, an '06 Triumph Bonneville. It is a different sort of Dual Purpose bike. It serves not only as a competent, agile, modern motorcycle, but also has qualities of a time machine opening portals to the past. A ride on it not only gets me to my destination, but takes me through memories of places, times, people and bikes that are the reasons I love riding.

13,000 miles...see bikes below...Dennis G...Lecompton, KS
I figure around 13,000 miles between my four bikes. BMW K75, Suz 650 Burgman, Kaw 250 Super Sherpa, and Suz DR650SE.

13,000 miles...2011 BMW GS 1200...Dennis C. ... Camden Point, MO
Hi Roger, I put 6000 miles on a 2009 vstrom, and 7000 miles on a 2011 BMW gs 1200. Thanks Dennis Cross

13,000 miles...1995 BMW K75RT...JON H. ...Ottawa, KS

13,481 miles...(many bikes see below)... Bob P...Olathe, KS
So far I've logged 13,481 miles on three bikes. Lots of ROMEO rides including the spring and fall outings and a great trip exploring Colorado, Wyoming and South Dakota. Bikes and miles are:
2008 BMW R1200RT - 11,515
2008 Kawasaki KLR650 - 1,423
1986 Honda Goldwing - 543
1974 Honda CB360 - 0 - Project bike recently acquired - not running yet
1976 Yamaha RD400 - 0 - Another project bike recently acquired and not running
Total - 13,481
Last two should keep me busy this winter when it's too cold out to ride.

13,613 miles...2003 BMW K1200LT & 2000 BMW K1200RS...Paul B. ..Basehor, KS

13,709 miles...2007 Burgman 650 & 1995 BMW...Larry S. ...Edgerton, KS

14,747 miles...2005 Honda Gold Wing GL1800...Lonny M. ...Wichita, KS
2005 Gold Wing 5,922 miles
2008 Yamaha FJR 5,825 miles
2010 Honda NT 700 3,000 miles
Thanks, Lonny

15,000 miles...2003 Kawasaki Voyager ++..."TwocyclinderSpike"....Shawnee, KS
Here are my statistics, Of course you know that my riding season was only 9 months because of my broken leg.
2003 Kawasaki 14,600 miles 4 weekends in Arkansas, two were Romeo events, one with grandson and his Harley friends and a three day Voyager Rally in Degray Lodge that is operated by the state. Went to a BMW Rally in Red Lodge MT and came back through Yellowstone. The remaining miles were to Romeo lunches..
2008 Yamaha XT-250 Dual Sport 400 miles.Most of these were put on while attending a Dual Sport
event in the Flint Hills. This was a fun ride that I hope to attend again next year. The XT is about the only Dual Sport that will allow my short legs to reach the ground. It also has electric start which works much better than my XR's kick starter.

15,000 miles...White Gold Wing and others..."Overalls" Don S. ..Lenexa, KS (by Roger, Don doesn't computer, but we love him anyway)

15,000 to 16,000 miles...1995 Honda Gold Wing...Larry L. ...Topeka, KS
2009 Burgmann and a 1972 BMW -5

15,500 miles...Honda Gold Wing GL1500...Mike H. ...Shawnee, KS
15,200 on my 1996 GL1500 Goldwing, and the other 300 was on my 1972 CB750 Honda. Only one long ride, to Montana, to the Beartooth Beemers rondivoo (I don't know how to spell "Rendezvous"). Nice ride, good weather, and a cabin full of funny, full of it, guys!! Strange cabin tho, apparently the organizer arranged for a fantastic light show that went on about 3 o'clock every morning (no lasers and such, just flashlights, but still, pretty impressive)! Looking forward to next year! The rest of the year was mostly to Romeo lunches, most of the time, twice a week.

15,771 Miles.. 2003 Gold Wing Trike 14,757 and HD Ultra Classic 1,014 Randy R....Butler, MO
Many miles were logged on the Romeo rides sometimes at the rate of two per week. We also made a trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway, Skyline Drive, The Dragon, Foothills Parkway, Cherahola Skyway and scenic Route 360 completing the 120 mile loop that was supposed to take arround 5 hours but took more than 7 hours. We also made a trip wandering around Arkansas for 4 days. This is the first year that I was retired and I tried to ride every day from early spring to late fall. What a great year.

16,000 miles...2007 Suzuki C90T...Tom F. ...Gravois Mills, MO
Hi Roger! I'm not sure what you want since I'm new to this. Do you mean total riding, or just riding to the ROMEO luncheons? I haven't kept track of the trips to the luncheons, but I do know that in total, I've ridden over 16,000 miles this year. I've been all over the west this summer and rode over a hundred miles almost every day while home. This riding thing has become an obsession with me, to my wife's chagrin! If it weren't raining, I'd be riding now, as it's in the 40's here.

16,641 miles "My Three Bikes",...Lee H...Olathe, KS
Not a good year for me again this year. Being taken out on I35, end of June, left me laid-up for some time. I did get in 16641 on my 3 bikes.
I live in North Olathe off of Woodland. Well there is 4 bikes I ride. I'll send some pictures. I even sent a picture of the Gold Wing I had for a short time in the 80's I know you like them a little bit.
2008 K1200GT 15300ml
2000 R1100RT 157567ml
1985 R80GSPD 44057ml
1973 R75/5 30928ml[attachment=14]2007 K1200GT.jpg[/attachment][attachment=13]1985 R80GSPD.jpg[/attachment][attachment=12]1982 Honda Gold Wing.jpg[/attachment][attachment=11]1973 R75-5.jpg[/attachment]
Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't start getting interesting until about 95 mph.
Lee

17,101 miles...2002 BMW K1200LT...Bohn F. ... Shawnee, KS
Thanks for thinking of me. I indeed have been out of pocket the last part of the fall, as I'm building an attached garage for my toys. That has kept me closer to home than I would have liked. I also took my family on a two week trip to Florida which with travel to and from ended up being three weeks. So my motorcycle time got cut short. I have five bikes and here is the tally:

2002 BMW K1200LT - 10,329 miles
1980 Yamaha XS1100SG - 1,387 miles
1978 Yamaha XS750SE - 2,942 miles
1999 KTM640LC4 - 1,900 miles
1980 Yamaha SR250G - 543 miles
Total for 2011 - 17,101 miles

Looks like I beat the average for last year of 15,756 miles. Hope to do better next year. Linda and I are starting early and going to Florida in late January. Will trailer to Tallahasse and then ride to Key West and back. Hey, a guy has to winterize his bike anyway, and this is how I do mine. Looking forward to seeing you when the riding weather gets better. . . . . Bohn

17,600 miles...2009 Honda Gold Wing GL1800..."Santa" Greg...Grantsville, KS
I had a personal milestone at just under 18k, 17,600 I think. 2 rear tires, camped in WI, IL, AR, MO, CO. Rain, cold, miserable weather and am anxious for winter to be gone so I can beat my best and be like you!...
C u down the road, Santa Greg

18,030 miles...2002 Triumph Bonneville +++Bill E. "BeemerBill"...Wichita, KS
Thanks Roger, it will be interesting to see some of the mileage we ROMEO's ride....
I for one, do keep track of the miles I ride each year, I have always done this, and will
probably always keep doing it. I've found that I usually ride more during the year than
I thought I did. I usually ride between 16,000 and 20,000 miles per year on my bikes,
but with this summer, I know I didn't go on several rides I was thinking about, simply
because it was so "Blasted" HOT, so I didn't think I would have ridden that many miles, but
once again I found that I ended up riding farther than I thought with a total of 18,030 miles....
The miles break down like this :
1995 K75RT BMW.... 5,310
2005 F650GS BMW... 1,412
2002 Triumph Bonneville... 6,287
2003 Kawasaki KLX 400.... 1,605
2005 Yamaha FJR1300... 3,416
For a total again of 18,030 miles....
It was a good year and I had several trips that were very enjoyable

18,100 miles..1999 Gold Wing Motor Trike Conv...Fox Temple...Grand Lake, OK (summer) and LaFeria, South Texas (winter)
019.JPG
019.JPG (46.54 KiB) Viewed 2561 times
Fox Temple Grand Lake Ok and LaFeria South Texas. On Jan 2 2011 I flew to Albuquerque N M and picked up a 99 Goldwing Motor trike conversion Trike. I rode it out of Albuquerque at 28 degrees on my way back to the valley where I winter. It had 17,200 on it. Sitting in my trailer today it has 35353 so I rode 18,100 miles this year and have two days of organized rides left before New years. Rode through the southeast USA this summer, Did the Chercola Skyway, Dragontail, Moonshinners Highway, Blue Ridge Parkway, Devils triangle, Snake, Diamondback and Small diamondback and Six Gaps of Georgia and rode home on the Trail of tears ride. Went to Winnapeg and up to Saskatoon and back to Medicine Hat before returning in the USA. Rode to Sedan Kansas and meet the riders from Wichita once this summer. I did not buy it to polish and sit at the curb. Owned an 88 Goldwing with 182,000 miles on it that I had for 8 years. Sold it down here in Mar 2011 and have ridden with the buyer a couple times and it is still going good
Fox Temple

18,165 miles (See Bikes listed below)...Bill B. ... Leawood, KS
Mileage report for 2011
3 bikes 1800 Goldwing 7280 miles
Yamaha Stratoliner 4661 miles
Concours 14 6224 miles
total miles 18,165

20,000 miles...1999 HONDA Valkyrie Tourer "FAT LADY" John "Hoser" L....Auburn, KS
Just over 20,000 miles, favorite trip was to Galveston, April 1st thru 3rd. It is Known as "the gathering of the fools" GOTF for short. It is a barbecue at the home of one of the members of the valkyrie riders, with a charity donation for a childrens hospital. It is attended by riders nationwide. A friend trailered to my house through a blizzard from North Dakota to my house, unloaded when he got here, and off we rode the morning of March 31st. Nasty sleet and rain as far as Tulsa, spent the night in Athens, Texas, and on to the farm, outside of Galveston. Spent Friday to Sunday morning there and got home Monday after staying over night in Tulsa. Cold ride home from there. I hope to have many more good rides.
I don't want a pickle, just wanna ride my motor sickle
Hoser 2 driveway.jpg
Hoser 3 more driveway.jpg
21,008 miles...BMW K1200LT...Leland & Slina P. ...Paola, KS (Slina wants us all to know that Leland is being honored by his BMW friends for riding 700,000 miles on BMW motorcycles!!! All the ROMEOS add their congratulations to this great achievement!!!)
Slina and I went on several trips this year. Starting out in March we rode to Daytona Beach, Fl for bike week. Had a good time. Then in June we went to Chippewa Falls, Wi. to the BMW RA rally, it was hot there. July found us in Bloomsburg, Pa. at the BMWMOA rally and it was really hot there!! August I went to Red Lodge, Mt. with several other riders to the Beartooth rally. Great riding there on the Beartooth Hwy. and the Chief Joseph Hwy. Had a really good time. September, Labor Day week found my wife and I in Steamboat Springs, Co for a few days and rode around there all over and then we headed to Pagosa Springs, Co for a few more days of riding. We rode to Sipapu. NM to see some of our guys at the Land of Enchantment BMW rally. I made lots of the ROMEO lunches in between our trips. All in all it was a good summer for riding even with the hotter than normal weather- I managed to get in quite a bit of riding. I just took advantage of the nice weather on Sunday Dec. 17th and rode a few miles, maybe to end the year??

K1200 Lt.........19586
R100 Rt.......... 478 (almost got left out this year)
Burgman 650 944
Total 21008
There should be a "HELMET LAW" in Kansas
There should be a "HELMET LAW" in Kansas
I was just joking about the "Helmet Law" in the picture above--I have never seen Leland ride without a helmet
I was just joking about the "Helmet Law" in the picture above--I have never seen Leland ride without a helmet
Click on the picture to make it BIGGER!!
Click on the picture to make it BIGGER!!
Leland receiving his 700,000 mile award
Leland receiving his 700,000 mile award
21,500 miles...2011 Harley "Road King"..."HarleyCharlie"...Mulvane, KS
Bike 1) 2001 Harley Fatboy, 2300 miles, general ridding, sold this bike late July 2011.
Bike 2) 2011 Harley Road King, 19,200 miles - I bought this bike new on April 5 this year. I rode it to Iowa City Iowa, Chicago Ill and Sturgis SD. I made a few tirps to Quapaw OK too. 7 months old, 19,000 + miles... And this is true: Still on the original tires! WOW, what a shock.
Charlie

21,842 miles...2009 Kawasaki Concours 14--1975 Kawasaki Mach III...Mike V. ..Kansas City, MO
AND HOSER responded to this post with "Betcha I know which bike got most of the miles. Rode a mach 3 in the 70's, it almost killed me! Hoser

22,412 miles...2007 Blue BMW R1200RT...Terry G....Columbia, MO
Done most of that on 6 trips.
Terry

22,545 miles...2005 Suzuki V-Strom 650 (plus a BMW)...Jerry M....Houston, TX
Ok, I finally got around to checking my odos and gathering up the data from last year. Wow, I was surprised! I put 6,284 miles on my 2004 BMW K1200GT, which is the least miles in a year since I have had it. But on the 2005 Vstrom 650 I put 16,261! Of course the majority of those miles were my trip to Alaska (29 days and 11,495 miles). So that makes my total for the year 22,545 - a new high for me!

The trip to Alaska was the highlight of the year. I again want to thank Bob Diehl, Ken Krumm, and Tom Lenz for teasing, cajoling, and inspiring me to make that journey. In hindsight now it is a speck in my memory, a strange feeling that I have someone else's memories. But when I think about some of the places, the sights, and the day-to-day riding let me tell you that is one Helluva long way. I would do it again - just not soon.

My first lunch ride in Texas was a in January 2011 to the famous Hard Eight BBQ in Stephenville, TX - about 250 miles from here. That was a 500 mile lunch ride and it was in the 30's most of the day! That was my introduction to Texas! I also made it to both Romeo Rendezvous' (spring and fall) which is about 700 miles from Houston. Made 3 or 4 trips out west to the Hill Country. Made it to a Romeo lunch with Roger Shores down to the Rio Grand Valley with the RGV Romeos. Also went to the Texas National Rally in Llano in April and the Harvest Classic Rally in Luckenbach in October.

I also did some local riding around Houston but nothing like the regular Romeo rides I did last year when we lived in Kansas City. I miss the regular rides every week and getting to know people that I otherwise wouldn't ever have the chance to meet. I have met a lot of new friends down here but again we don't have regular weekly rides like you all do there.

Roger, thanks for your effort in putting together this travelogue for all of us. It is a great read to see what everybody does. Some of us ride more than others, but less than many others. Some get an opportunity to make significant trips and some can't get away for that long. It is nice to share our adventures with others or read about them and live vicariously through their ride reports.

Thanks again!

22,700 miles...2005 BMW 1200RT...Walt H...Manhattan, KS
March 22nd Mel, Ken & I started 2011 by riding to Buckys ROMEO first day of spring get-to-gather in Eureka Springs. 923 miles

April 14th Ken and I left for Pomme de Terre lake in Missouri to attend Leo Clegg & Terry Porter’s April Fools campout. 1076 miles

April 26th---Georgia Mtn Rally---I met Lee and we had a good ride until we tried to cross the bridge at Cario IL ---it was closed so we back tracked and ended up in Dyersburg TN in a downpour and a motel. We called Ken on the cell phone and to our surprise he and Bob were in a motel down the street. Lee and I rode past some real tornado damaged areas to Hiawassee GA and the rally site. 2286 miles

May 19th--- Wisconsin Great River Road rally---Ken & I left in the rain to meet Tom at a Casey’s on hwy 24 near Basehor. We got to Anamosa IA around 4:30 and stopped by the National Motorcycle Museum but they advised that they closed at 5 so we decided to Motel it and come back in the morning at 9, and than on to Soldier’s Grove WI. We stopped for gas along side the Mississippi and a local advised it was 3 miles wide at that spot. Ken was long distance rider and I was the oldest. 1317 miles

June 30th---BMWRA FirecRAcker International rally in Wisconsin . I was to meet Lee & Tom, Tom was at the meeting place but not Lee, I called him and he said he was side swiped coming out of KC and was in ER. Tom & I got to Chippewa Falls around 5:30 and set up the tents in high heat & humidity and by 9:30 we had had enough and got a motel. The next day we met Ken & Bruce and went for a ride and when we got back we checked out the vendors. The next morning Tom & I decided we had had enough warmth and headed for the barn. 1385 miles

August 5th--- Colorado 100,000 foot ride. Ken, Steve, Al, Nathan & I left for the Foothills BMW shop in Lakewood CO . The ride covered 460 miles over approximately 10 mountain passes. Al & Nathan each won a prize while the 3 ol timers didn’t win a thing. We didn’t have any bad weather on this trip. 1463 miles

Sept 8th--- Bavarian Mountain Weekend Sipapu Ski Taos NM . Ken & I met Lee in Junction City and rode to the KOA campground in Clayton NM. The next day we ate breakfast in the Brown Hotel in Springer NM and than on to Sipapu to set up the tents---in a drizzle. Sat I woke up around 6am and it was still drizzling, around 36 degrees and my tent had a bad leak. I had breakfast at the lodge with Ken, Lee & Tom and afterwards I said “I’m not having any fun” Ken & Tom agreed so we packed up and took off for the barn, Lee stayed. By the time we got to Mora (off the mountain & 25 miles) the sun was out and it was around 40 degrees. 1255 miles

Sept 20th---Jr’s fall ROMEO ride to the HUB. Mel and I met Bob in Ft Scott and we got to the HUB around 5pm . The next day Mel, Bob & I rode to the Cliff House Restaurant for breakfast and than east down the hill and around south to Kingston for lunch and back to the HUB. On Thursday I woke and looked out the window and the clouds were broken but when I looked out 5 minutes later it was raining big time. We ate breakfast and Bob took off for the barn in the rain but Mel and I waited and took off around 10:30 and got out of the rain west of Eureka Springs. 1006 miles

22,795 miles...2003 Suzuki 800 Trike(Roxy) & 2005 Suzuki 1500 (Gary)..Roxy and Gary T. ..Baldwin City, KS
My trike is a 2003 Suzuki 800 Gary has a 2005 Suzuki 1500, 86 Yama Venture Royle 1300 & a 2001 Gold Wing 1800

23,020 miles...2007 Kawasaki KLR & 2006 Suzuki Vistrom...Harry (the stickerman), Topeka, KS

24,400 miles Honda Gold Wing Trike and a Harley Davidson...Bob B. ...Overland Park, KS
My mileage for 2011 is the total of my 2 bikes, 24,400 miles.

33,576 miles...2009 Honda Gold Wing GL1800, Ed and Janice J. ...Gardner, KS
My 2011 mileage is 33576. I went to Daytona & Willmington NC & Phoenix. We also went to Amarillo Tx and through Colorado. We later took a trip up to Jackson Hole Wy & Utah. I also went to Washington DC And New York City. We took 2 or 3 trips in Arkansas. Please note my new E-mail Thanks, Ed & Janice

34,000 miles..."a bunch of bikes"...Bucky...Lawrence, KS
Roger...........Here is a short review of my 2011 riding year. March I rode the VFR to the ROMEO RENDEZVUE in Arkansas. In late April early May I rode the Sporster to the east coast and up the Outer Banks. In June I rode the KLR to a FSSNOC lunch in California. July I rode the Sportster to Colorado on a trip with my Grandson Inlaw, his first MC trip. In Sept rode the Oldwing to NewMexico to the BMW Rally. October rode the Sportster to the Fall ROMEO RENDEZVOUS in Arkansas. November rode the new to me SuperGlide to Grove Ok, to set up the Spring ROMEO RENDEZVOUS. In all it was 34,000 miles. And boy was it fun.
Bucky

34,873 miles...See Bikes listed below...Ken K. ... Manhattan, KS
Well, this was an average riding year for me. I didn't get to the Arctic like I wanted to and didn't get the chance to ride to Daytona with Bob Diehl. I worked the first three months of the year. However, I was able to do a couple rallies in Wisconsin, Georgia, Colorado, New Mexico, Missouri and Arkansas. The bike are all getting a few miles on them. However, they are all still reliable enough to tour on. This year did mark a milestone for the bikes. I've rode my four street bikes in my garage over 400,000 miles. When you add my two Goldwings that I own previously, my lifetime miles this year exceeded 550,000 miles before my 50th birthday. If I continue to ride 35k a year, I will make it to 1,000,000 mile by 65.

K1100LT 10,728
R1150GS 13,077
R1100RT 7,018
Ducati ST3 2,962
KTM EXC 1,088
2011 Total = 34,873

35,748 miles...1989 Honda GL1500...Richard K. ...Lindsborg, KS
Although I didn't have as many miles on my bikes as I originally thought, I still have enouth to set you over the one million mark. Here's what I have been able to assess so far.....

-- '07 Yamaha V-Star 1100 ...my favorite when I'm riding alone .......................................6915 miles
-- '89 Honda GL 1500 .........my wifes favorite when she's with me..................................18160 miles
--'04' Aprilia S-500.............my keeper if the government mandated me to have only one bike...7373 miles
--'09- Schwinn Valo 150.......my in town gas saver........................................................3300 miles
----------------
35748 miles

In addition to these I had some others that I have given away to my son's this year that I also had some miles on but don't recall how many. The '04' Suzuki V-Strom that I had a love hate relationship with during my time with it is seriously missed.
It was a bit top heavy for me but it was a hoot when moving. I can say the same for my C-50 Suzuki Boulevard. Never an issue on it at any time. Just wanted tubeless tires or I would still have it! A lot of joy is just in the ownership I guess!

37,105 miles...BMW...Bob D. ...Springhill, KS

42,888 GREAT miles...2009 Honda Gold Wing. .Roger & Melissa. .Leawood, KS
I had a special ending to 2011. As many of you know I have been approaching 100,000 miles on the Honda Gold Wing that I purchased new on March 24, 2009.

My daughter Pam came home from London for Christmas and said “Dad wouldn’t it be neat to turn over the 100,000 miles on your odometer at the Liberty Memorial in Kansas City before the end of the year?” Now that is no small task, but on Friday December 30, 2011, we set off on our mission.

Pam’s plan was to ride behind me with her video camera and take a movie as the odometer rolled over from 99,999 miles to 100,000 miles with the Liberty Memorial in the foreground. We laughed and stressed as we approached the WWI memorial, wondering if the odometer would turn too soon or too late, if our camera battery would die, or if we would fill the memory card before the big moment. The last mile of the 100,000 was definitely the longest!
[attachment=3]100,000 miles and picture 048.jpg[/attachment]
Well, as you can see, we were successful and we had a wonderful day.

Melissa and I have had a great year of riding. Melissa saw the Grand Canyon for the first time. We rode around Lake Superior, the “Tail of the Dragon”, the entire Blue Ridge Parkway, Cherohala Skyway, and Skyline Drive-Shenandoah National Park. I successfully completed two of my most difficult Iron Butt Challenges: the Saddle Sore 2000 Gold (2000 miles in under 36 hours) and the 50 CC (riding from Jacksonville, FL to San Diego, CA in under 50 hours).
Melissa and I have ridden many miles with GWRRA, GWTA and of course the Romeos. We will always treasure your friendship.
[attachment=2]100,000 miles and picture 116.jpg[/attachment]
Thanks for letting us call you our friends.
Melissa and Roger (and Pam, our daughter)

45,613 miles...2006 Honda Gold Wing GL1800...John E. ...Overland Park, KS
Roger,
I rode 45,613 miles in 2011, mostly on a 2006 Wing that took me through all the lower 48 including Mount Rainier and a highway in South Dakota[attachment=1]image001.jpg[/attachment][attachment=0]image002.jpg[/attachment]The Romeo lunch rides and the fall gathering in Arkansas are among my most treasured memories of the year.
John (LongJohn)
Attachments
2007 K1200GT
2007 K1200GT
1985 R80GSPD
1985 R80GSPD
1982 Honda Gold Wing
1982 Honda Gold Wing
1973 R75-5
1973 R75-5
100,000 miles and picture 048.jpg
100,000 miles and picture 116.jpg
image001.jpg
image001.jpg (7.13 KiB) Viewed 2289 times
image002.jpg
image002.jpg (9.05 KiB) Viewed 2289 times
Klem

Re: 2011 MILEAGE REPORT

Post by Klem »

Pretty impressive Guys. Even more so when you consider only about a fourth of us reported miles. Which helps verify what I have been saying for some time. The Romeos are the most active motorcycle group in this area, (and very impressive in Texas also.) For the Kansas and Western Mo. rides we are averaging between 125 and 200 people per week at the various rides during the good riding weather.

Keep up the fun factor, we are just starting a new year of riding. Spread the word to your motorcycle buddies, friends, and strangers on what they are missing out on.

Bucky's Spring Rendezvous in Grove Ok. is just two months away. Let's make this a Great Year for The Romeos. Roger says we can have Two Million Miles posted for Romeo Riders for this year. Gray Power on Wheels, Scary!

Don

Motorcycles are like Potato chips One is never enough
5504doug@gmail.com

Post by 5504doug@gmail.com »

9,200 miles - Douglas G. - Columbia, Mo. (MidMo. Chapter)
All in-State. No trips, about 600 mi. ea. week. On the '06 ST1300
Klem

Post by Klem »

Time to be getting your stories ready to go with your 2012 miles. The best game is to out do Hoser.
Motorcycles are like Potato chips One is never enough