Happy to hear your ideas

sysadmin
Site Admin

Happy to hear your ideas

Post by sysadmin »

Please don't hesitate to post your bitches, gripes, or complaints here. All will be considered, some even read. ;)

sysadmin
Thank you,

System Administrator ("sysadmin")
lenztwka

Re: Happy to hear your ideas

Post by lenztwka »

Looks great to me. Straight forward and easy to navigate.

Have a great one.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Jerry - I've been quietly lurking around the fringes of the site to see how the guys are reacting to it and it seems to be taking hold and people seem to accept it and are using it responsibly as I knew they would but something doesn't quite seem right. We are 'one' big unified group or at least I've tried to develop that feeling, but the site seems to have forced a division emerging that I would like to see corrected.
Let me explain. We rightly are dividing the state because of distances and frankly for the reason Don has stipulated that we are beginning to overwhelm the seating capacity of some of the smaller places. Places that are one of the very base reasons that we began this venture quite a number of years ago.
By splitting the individual lunch destinations, we have focused directly on this problem by lowering the attendance helping to prevent overwhelming turnouts on small places that could not otherwise attend to such a response yet still being honest to our intended mission of helping the little cafes in need as well as still providing a superb riding experience and great fellowship for our participants.
Now however, I see a split developing that needs to be dealt with. Individual lunch rides are fine and required and have been a positive change because of our growth.
But let's not fracture our communication between each other. I am suggesting that we have only one (1) unified message posting board where all can communicate together not just between lunch groups. I think that so many of us know so many from other groups that it would be more interesting for everyone to have only one Board regardless of the number on individual area rides we may ultimately end up with. Richard
wil6831

Post by wil6831 »

Richard wrote: But let's not fracture our communication between each other. I am suggesting that we have only one (1) unified message posting board where all can communicate together not just between lunch groups. I think that so many of us know so many from other groups that it would be more interesting for everyone to have only one Board regardless of the number on individual area rides we may ultimately end up with. Richard
It might be a little early to tell as this is only my 5th post but since I have posted on both sides, and read all posts, I will say that it is a bit awkward jumping back and forth. I don't think there would be any confusion in the lunch destinations as they could be clearly marked. The worst that could happen is for someone to show up at the wrong town where I'm sure they would be welcomed. Richard will probably still maintain his mailing list but I see the day when this forum will be the only communication vehicle for the ROMEOs.
With that said, thanks for getting this website and forum going, it is a long over due upgrade in communications. I especially enjoy seeing photos that folks post. That photo at the top of the page is spectacular, any info on the rider, location and photographer?.....Leonard
Leonard, Hull, GA
2004 Royal Enfield Bullet (gone)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (sold)
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
JerryM100

Post by JerryM100 »

Richard, Klem (Don), and Leonard,

My perspective is whatever it takes to make people comfortable to participate here. If there is some feeling of separation then let's look at ways to reduce that. The more I use the tools for the forum software the more comfortable I get about making changes. My only trepidation is that this is all based on PHP code and a database to store everything in, which means it is not human readable. If I make a change in a forum and something goes wrong it's not like I can cut-n-paste it back right. The best I could do is roll back to a backup which means some loss of information like some posts or worst case a new member gets lost.

But we are young here and now is the time to make mistakes, so I will try it. The change will be to join the two General Discussion forums and move them to the top (outside of the 2 regional groups). Let's just make that change and see how it goes.

Jerry

PS. Leonard, I really can't recall where I found that picture but it was somewhere public, not someone's personal photo so I don't think anyone knows the details. It is just supposed to represent all of us at some time when you come over a rise and are met with a glorious view, or just have an epiphany going down the road a long way from home that you are out experiencing the thrill and freedom of riding in America. That's the way I look at it.
Jerry M
I ride because it frees my mind from the tyranny of petty things.
ImageImageImage
JerryM100

Post by JerryM100 »

Ok, whew! That wasn't too bad. Move the 6 posts from the Central Group 'General Discussion' forum to the Eastern Group 'General Discussion' forum, then moved that to the top outside of the regional forums, then deleted the now empty Eastern Group 'General Discussion' forum.

So now we have a single Introductions forum and General Discussion forum, with separate regional forums for the Weekly Rides and For Sale, which seem appropriate at this point.

Let's try this on for size and see what everyone thinks.

Jerry
Jerry M
I ride because it frees my mind from the tyranny of petty things.
ImageImageImage
wil6831

Post by wil6831 »

JerryinKC wrote: Let's try this on for size and see what everyone thinks.
Jerry
Well done Jerry, that was a great idea and I think it will work just fine.
Leonard, Hull, GA
2004 Royal Enfield Bullet (gone)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (sold)
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
Richard

Post by Richard »

Jerry - Thanks ever so much. Now we're all back in a unified single group with just the choice of a great place to go! Thanks again and it seems you did a superb job of gett'in-R-Done. Richard