shfls

Post by shfls »

When will the avatar function be enabled?

Thanks.

DH
Time is finite...okay, time is infinite, but yours isn't!

If you can't change the people around you, change the people around you.

2004 Aprilia Scarabeo 500 (shfls)
sysadmin
Site Admin

Re: Avatars

Post by sysadmin »

I'll look into that, thanks for the reminder. It is amazing how complex this system is behind the covers. There are so many options and possibilities...
Thank you,

System Administrator ("sysadmin")
JerryM100

Post by JerryM100 »

I looked in the options and found a place I had not even seen before. So now I understand it and have turned on the avatars feature. You may use one from your local computer, download one from somewhere else, or just use a link to it somewhere else.

Learned something new...

Jerry
Jerry M
I ride because it frees my mind from the tyranny of petty things.
ImageImageImage
shfls

Post by shfls »

JerryinKC wrote:I looked in the options and found a place I had not even seen before. So now I understand it and have turned on the avatars feature. You may use one from your local computer, download one from somewhere else, or just use a link to it somewhere else.

Learned something new...

Jerry
Thanks, Jerry. I'll go see how bad I can mess it up.

shfls

Post by shfls »

Jerry,

Couldn't seem to get the avatar to display. It says... "The avatar’s filesize must be between 0 and 6 KiB". My file sizes are pretty big, but I have one that I re-sized to 640mg X 480mg.

What do I have to re-size to to get it to work? 0-6 kilobytes seems pretty small. Now I'm showin' my smarts... :oops:

JerryM100

Post by JerryM100 »

shfls wrote:Jerry,

Couldn't seem to get the avatar to display. It says... "The avatar’s filesize must be between 0 and 6 KiB". My file sizes are pretty big, but I have one that I re-sized to 640mg X 480mg.

What do I have to re-size to to get it to work? 0-6 kilobytes seems pretty small. Now I'm showin' my smarts... :oops:
Don H,

Not only less than 6 kb but the size of 90 pixels square or less. I don't know how capable you are with computers or what kinds of software programs you have, but you need to reduce your graphic, both in dimensions and size. I use a program called IRFanView (http://www.irfanview.com) which is a free and highly popular graphics viewer and image manipulating program. This is if you have an existing picture you want to use. If you just want to use someone else's do a Google search on "Avatars free" and choose from many sources and thousands of images. That's what I did when I found that graphic beside my name.

If you can't get it to work send your picture to me by email and I will edit it down to size and send it back to you. It will only cost you an iced tea on the next ride! ;)

Jerry
Jerry M
ImageImageImage
shfls

Post by shfls »

JerryinKC wrote:
shfls wrote:Jerry,

Don H,

Not only less than 6 kb but the size of 90 pixels square or less. I don't know how capable you are with computers or what kinds of software programs you have, but you need to reduce your graphic, both in dimensions and size. I use a program called IRFanView (http://www.irfanview.com) which is a free and highly popular graphics viewer and image manipulating program. This is if you have an existing picture you want to use. If you just want to use someone else's do a Google search on "Avatars free" and choose from many sources and thousands of images. That's what I did when I found that graphic beside my name.

If you can't get it to work send your picture to me by email and I will edit it down to size and send it back to you. It will only cost you an iced tea on the next ride! ;)

Jerry
Hey Jerry,

Well I stumbled around and did it...I guess. Don't ask me how, though. I did use that link you sent me, but couldn't get it to work right for me. I used another re-sizing program I have called jpeg sizer (http://www.tangotools.com/jpegsizer/index.html). That program is kinda messed up, also, in that it doesn't work quite right either. You have to do some stumbling around in it, too. All probably no doubt due to my proficiency on the computer...or the lack thereof. I even had to pay for that one.

I'll still buy you an iced tea, though, and maybe some fries for a few lessons. :lol:

Thanks for your help :!:

Don H.

JerryM100

Post by JerryM100 »

Well, I don't know if I helped you or not but I'm glad you got it to work (cool pic!).

If anyone else wants to try an Avatar (small photo or symbol by your name) just click on "User Control Panel" at the top, then click on the second tab "Profile", then the third option down called "avatar."

If you don't want to go thru the hassle of modifying one of your own photos to fit the small size you can search for free avatars on line. All you need to do it copy the link to the appropriate line in the avatars options. Caution: when you go searching for free avatars you will find hundreds and thousands of goofy pics for kids - good luck searching for something you will probably want to use.

If you have a photo of yourself and need some help let me know.

Jerry
Jerry M
ImageImageImage
JerryM100

Post by JerryM100 »

After a question from John today about avatars I started poking around in the settings for the forums here and found out how to change the avatar settings. I changed the maximum allowable size from 90x90 pixels to 110x110 pixels, and the size limit from 6k to 10k. Not sure yet how big that is but that should help if you go out and search the avatar web sites and find one you like. Let me know (anyone!) if you have any problems with setting an avatar for yourself.

Jerry
Jerry M
ImageImageImage
John D Davis

Post by John D Davis »

Hi Jerry:
I was able to get my avatar to work just fine today. Thanks for the excellent work :mrgreen: !!!!
Drive now, talk later
PaulF650

Post by PaulF650 »

Just a hint for those who use Irfanview to resize--be sure to removed the EXIF data, otherwise you'll never get the file small enough, at least I couldn't. :ugeek:
Paul