Romeo Lunch July 2012

Alb1on

Romeo Lunch July 2012

Post by Alb1on »

Just to say we will be at the Ace Cafe from 12.00 on Thursday 26th July 2012 and look forward to seeing you there.
http://www.ace-cafe-london.com

Ace Cafe London
Ace Corner
North Circular Road
Stonebridge
London
NW10 7UD
Tel +44(0)20 8961 1000
enquiries@ace-cafe-london.com

Jon, Dave & Cathy
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by Alb1on on Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
BeemerBill

Re: July Romeo Lunch

Post by BeemerBill »

Hey, I just wanted to say hi to you from Wichita, Kansas. I have wanted to visit the Ace Cafe for
quite some time now, but doubt that I will actually make it over there, however, one can dream....
Please take some pictures while you're there and post them for us, I know there are several of us
who would truly enjoy seeing them. Thanks
BeemerBill
Two-Lane Blacktop isn't a Highway---It's an Attitude
Klem

Post by Klem »

Ok Cathy, I've been out in the barn hunting for the paddle and canoe, Kicker was I told Jerry you were going to the ACE cafe and he had never heard of it. Tempting but just too far to ride.

Don
Motorcycles are like Potato chips One is never enough
Alb1on

Post by Alb1on »

Just to say none of us has ever been there either so photos will definitely be taken. I suppose you are all familiar with the legends about 'doing the ton' on the Great North Road or A1, then on the new in 1959 M1 as it had no speed limit. There is also a story about putting a 45 on the juke box, then getting on the bike and seeing if you could get back to the Ace before it finished. Unfortunately, modern life has ruled out such pursuits, but the Rockers still live on. We'll see if we can get them to pose for some pictures. We are really looking forward to lunch there, and may have to stay all afternoon, which would be awful, wouldn't it? All those motorcycles to enjoy and to listen to, not to mention their assorted riders. Don't worry, we'll keep you all posted and we might even get some decent weather.

xxxxxxxxxxx
Klem

Post by Klem »

I had a bike in the sixties called a Norton Wrangler. My guess the name was for U.S. sales. It was one of the Matchless framed Atlas motor combinations. Came from the factory as what was called a "Gentleman's Bike". A large red and chrome tank, moderately rear set pegs, low bars. It was not a popular bike in the states but those of us that had one loved it. With a 21 tooth Counter it cruised 80mph at 4000 rpm, the sweet spot for the big twin.

No doubt a little bit of "Rocker" in all of us. Bucky says that we just remember the good about the old bikes and forget the bad. I remember them being a pain it the rear, but sometimes I think that was just a test to see if you were worthy of riding such a bike. As the ad said, "You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda", Who wanted to be nice.
Alb1on

Post by Alb1on »

'Who wanted to be nice indeed?' I'm sure the memories will always be better than the realities, as I remember stories of people getting up an hour early to make sure of getting to work on time in case the bike didn't want to start, or who had to take all their bike gear off as the exertions in trying to get it started had made them overheat. I'm sure it was a challenge from the manufacturers to weed out the real men who could start the bike with one kick or end up with a right thigh that was severely distended. Will try to find some Norton riders for you at the Ace.

xxxxxxx
Klem

Post by Klem »

Mostly the Norton wasn't hard to start except when the weather was cooler, the 50w oil had sumped (slowly drain from the oil tank to the crankcase). The engine had to be cranked enough get the oil back to the reservoir before it could be turned fast enough to start. I think most remembered is it's ability to pick the proper time to embarrass me the most. Although there were many instances, the ultimate came on a warm fall afternoon. A common practice in that era was to ride or drive along side a coed and convince her that you just might be Mr. Right. I was about to succeed in getting this lovely young blood to join me when the Norton (in a fit of jealousy no doubt) spit it's oil reservoir cap off and regurgitated hot oil on my crotch and right leg. Norton -1 Me - 0.
Alb1on

Post by Alb1on »

Not only does that sound very painful, I'm sure it did your manhood no good whatsoever. Still, its all about character, or so people would have us believe. We met a journalist called Dave Minton on a Krauser Rallye in 1983, and he told us about travelling to the South of France with a motorcyclist he'd met on the Dover-Calais ferry. This person owned a beautiful Ducati, but it wouldn't start even after several hours of trying. Eventually Dave had to leave them both at Calais with the rider clinging on to what was left of his dignity by muttering darkly about "character." Dave said he was very glad his bike started with very little persuasion, but he was sorry not to hear the Ducati engine, or to have the pleasure of travelling with someone else. It's a pity bikes of a certain age had to be such a problem to start, and I can't say I'm sorry I missed that era! Anyway, if you get a chance to read anything by Dave Minton, he's well worth a look.

Cheers

Cathy

xxxxxxxxxx
david stoffer

Post by david stoffer »

Klem wrote:I had a bike in the sixties called a Norton Wrangler. My guess the name was for U.S. sales. It was one of the Matchless framed Atlas motor combinations. Came from the factory as what was called a "Gentleman's Bike". A large red and chrome tank, moderately rear set pegs, low bars. It was not a popular bike in the states but those of us that had one loved it. With a 21 tooth Counter it cruised 80mph at 4000 rpm, the sweet spot for the big twin.

No doubt a little bit of "Rocker" in all of us. Bucky says that we just remember the good about the old bikes and forget the bad. I remember them being a pain it the rear, but sometimes I think that was just a test to see if you were worthy of riding such a bike. As the ad said, "You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda", Who wanted to be nice.
Do you have any photos

I had a 65 Wrangler and never could remember the name

send any photos/info to: davidstoffer@sunflower.com

I still remebr it as HARD TO START!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When it started it ran fast but will never forget trying to get it stared. The day I got rid of it I figured out what I had been doing wrong and made it hard to start
david stoffer

Post by david stoffer »

Anyone with photos or info on the Wrangler please send to davidstoffer@sunflower.com

Had one and HATED IT