Tenth Annual Roy's BBQ RTE - May 6

A place to list other riding events. Anyone is welcome to announce any kind of group ride - whether it is for just a handful of riders or for a major event.
roginoz

Tenth Annual Roy's BBQ RTE - May 6

Post by roginoz »

Roy's BBQ, Hutchinson, Kansas - Saturday, May 6, 2017, 11:00 AM

I thought I had already posted this, but I couldn't find the old thread. (And I'm not as old as most in the group...)

We'll gather at Roy's BBQ (1018 Nickerson Blvd., Hutchinson - also known as Fifth Avenue,) for lunch at 11:00 AM. Most of us arrive closer to 10:30, to allow for tire kicking and BS prior to dining. It's a bit early for those riding in the same day, but it lets us beat the crowd. (Late comers get what the early birds didn't eat, and Roy's closes when the meat?s gone.)

After lunch we?ll head to the Carriage Crossing, in Yoder, for pie. There?s a small reserved motorcycle parking area on the south side of the restaurant, and plenty of overflow parking adjacent.

If you're looking for something to do after lunch, the Kansas Cosmosphere and the underground salt museum (in Hutchinson,) are nearby. The Kansas Motorcycle Museum, in Marquette, is a short ride north.

We typically have riders from five or six states. The rider traveling the farthest gets a free lunch and pie, and will have his or her name engraved on the "Mixon Cup" (named for Chris Mixon, who took long distance honors the first year.) The Mixon Cup is displayed year-round at Roy's. Previous winners came from Arizona (twice,) California, Illinois (twice,) Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Wisconsin (twice.)

Anyone heading south or east (or any other direction, if you don't mind backtracking,) is welcome to stop by my garage in Wichita (1510 Haskell) on the trip home. The Mouse & Toad Garage denizens will be observing (not sure if celebrating is the correct term for aging...) my sixty-sixth birthday. We keep an assortment of beverages in the garage fridge, and there will be birthday cigars in the humidor. (It's warm enough in May to open the overhead door, to reduce the second hand smoke a little bit...) I imagine that we'll be back to the garage by 3:00 PM. I'll ask my wife to not sic the dog on any early arrivals...
Roger Smith
'05 Honda ST1300
'20 Triumph Speed Twin
'12 Harley XR1200X
'09 Kawasaki KLR650
'73 Honda CL350
roginoz

Re: Tenth Annual Roy's BBQ RTE - May 6

Post by roginoz »

We had seventeen people on sixteen bikes at Roy's last Saturday. Five states represented: Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Texas. Four ROMEOs present: Brian, Cary, Joe (from SW Missouri,) and me. The long distance rider came from Westminster, CO. Good BBQ and pie afterwards.
Roger Smith
'05 Honda ST1300
'20 Triumph Speed Twin
'12 Harley XR1200X
'09 Kawasaki KLR650
'73 Honda CL350