SMACKDAB RUN

A place to list other riding events. Anyone is welcome to announce any kind of group ride - whether it is for just a handful of riders or for a major event.
Richard

SMACKDAB RUN

Post by Richard »

Guys - It seems to Joyce that I'm always looking for another reason to ride somewhere and she's right about that, but as I get older, my searches seem to be focused closer and closer.
It was just a couple days ago my new RIDER Magazine arrived, and as I am accustomed to do, I was reading the Letters to the Editor wherein a reader from Lee's Summit, Missouri by the name of Peter Zilliox, claims to have started a 'NEW' ride called the Smackdab Summer Solstice Run.
It runs 675 miles North from the monument of the geographic center of the 48 states just North of Lebanon, Kansas, to the geographic center of North America in Rugby, North Dakota.
This one day annual event is held on the Saturday closest to the summer solstice.
Peter was responding to an article in RIDER Magazine from the October 2016 issue called "Splitting the Country" in which they rode from North to South and U.S. Route 281 was featured quite favorably. And, Peter mentions the Great Plains are too often overlooked as a touring destination and appreciated the article and was pointing out that he had improved on that with this ride. His ride started in 2015 and the third-annual Summer Solstice Run will be held next summer on June 24, 2017.
Riders interested in exploring this part of the country with him should visit....
smackdab281.org for more information.
http://smackdab281.org/
I'm making my plans now, won't you come join me?
Richard Kurtz
roginoz

Re: SMACKDAB RUN

Post by roginoz »

I saw a note about this on the ST-Owners forum; I'm thinking of going. It's a couple of weeks after the MSTA Sport Touring Assn. Rendezvous, so it looks like the calendar's clear. If you think of it, how about updating this thread when the 2017 registration opens?
Roger Smith
'05 Honda ST1300
'20 Triumph Speed Twin
'12 Harley XR1200X
'09 Kawasaki KLR650
'73 Honda CL350
Richard

Post by Richard »

Roger - I'm awaiting my 1st 2017 calendar to do just that!
roginoz

Post by roginoz »

Registration is now open. It's not mandatory, but it helps them to know how many riders to expect and you get a finisher's patch at half price (if you want one.) I just signed up; need to call for motel reservations in the next few days.

http://smackdab281.org/registration

Event Home Page:

http://smackdab281.org/
Roger Smith
'05 Honda ST1300
'20 Triumph Speed Twin
'12 Harley XR1200X
'09 Kawasaki KLR650
'73 Honda CL350
merrill

Post by merrill »

Richard and Roger I just signed up also hope to see you guys there.
Richard

Post by Richard »

My eldest son is joining me on the ride. He rides a 2002 BMW R1150 like mine but in red.
We're planning to leave friday evening sometime heading up that way .....Richard
merrill

Post by merrill »

Dear Richard and Roger my wife and I won't be making the ride we had a tree trimming mishap and she has a broken noise and is recovering I hope you guys take lots of pictures and have a good time and I look forward to a big writeup Harold jr. and Joanie fr. hoyt ks.