Extra Credit Assignment Ride- Oct 26

A place to list other riding events. Anyone is welcome to announce any kind of group ride - whether it is for just a handful of riders or for a major event.
roginoz

Extra Credit Assignment Ride- Oct 26

Post by roginoz »

This may be a bit too far away, or a bit too early, for anyone other than the South Central folks, but I thought I'd post it in case there's some interest in the other groups.

No, not a book report, but it is book related. Richard Kurtz's daughter-in-law teaches first grade in Ponca City, Oklahoma. Her students have been reading The Mouse and the Motorcycle recently. She's prevailed upon her father-in-law to show up at school on Wednesday, October 26, to talk about motorcycles and give the kids a close-up look at a real machine. Richard's planning to take his Ural sidecar rig, but would like to have some additional examples for the kids to examine. Due to safety concerns, the school won't allow the kids to ride, but we can let them sit on the bikes.

If you're interested, we'll meet in the parking lot at the Woodland Elementary School, 2005 E. Woodland Road, at 8:00 AM. The school is east of Highway 77; take East Hartford Road east off of Highway 77 to Woodland. Our South Central lunch ride in Blackwell, Oklahoma, this week. We'll be finished at the school in plenty of time for the half hour ride to Prairie Smoke BBQ.

All this makes for an early start to Wednesday's ride, but it's for a good cause. We can help keep Richard in his daughter-in-law's good graces, and show some little kids that normal (well, as normal as we are) people ride motorcycles.

Place:

Woodland Elementary School
2005 E. Woodland Road
Ponca City, OK

Time:

8:00 AM, Wednesday, October 26
Roger Smith
'05 Honda ST1300
'20 Triumph Speed Twin
'12 Harley XR1200X
'09 Kawasaki KLR650
'73 Honda CL350
roginoz

Re: Extra Credit Assignment Ride- Oct 26

Post by roginoz »

We had three Kansas ROMEOs, and eight local Ponca City riders turn out this morning. Richard brought his Ural sidecar rig, and I rode my ST1300. As I recall, we also had a Goldwing, a Goldwing Trike, and a few Harleys. The entire school lined up at the curb in front of the building to watch our ride-by (both directions,) and then joined us on the paved area of the playground to look at the bikes. The kids were delighted, and the adults had a pretty good time, too.

Here's Joyce in her mouse suit:
Ponca City 102617 001 (Medium).jpg
Ponca City 102617 001 (Medium).jpg (98.6 KiB) Viewed 515 times
The first few bikes to show up in the staging area:
Ponca City 102617 002 (Medium).jpg
Ponca City 102617 002 (Medium).jpg (101.01 KiB) Viewed 515 times
Roger Smith
'05 Honda ST1300
'20 Triumph Speed Twin
'12 Harley XR1200X
'09 Kawasaki KLR650
'73 Honda CL350