Ride Around Kansas

A place to list other riding events. Anyone is welcome to announce any kind of group ride - whether it is for just a handful of riders or for a major event.
shoresr

Ride Around Kansas

Post by shoresr »

1527 MILES
1527 MILES
Today 4/5/13 Friday, we left Lenexa at 8 and started the Ride Around Kansas. 8 bikes, 1 scoot and one co rider. We made the southeast corner and a whole bunch of other stuff, Route 66 and several old hotels. 455 miles brought us to Medicine Lodge,
Here is a link to my pic
DAY #1 https://plus.google.com/photos/11299171 ... snG0MXG1QE

Corner #1 Southeast KS, MO, OK
Corner #1 Southeast KS, MO, OK

DAY 2 ++ Today we logged the southwest corner, Kansas, Oklahoma and Colorado. To make this corner it took riding on about 8 miles of unpaved road. This was certainly not a tourist place. The residents of Elkart did their best to convince us that Elkart was the corner, but fearless leader John knew better. He took us to the survey marker. Today we rode another 421 miles for a total of 876 miles. Tonight we are staying in Goodland. Today was very scenic as we rode through the Cimarron National Grasslands and the Gypsum Hills. Although, we were uncomfortable for about 3 hrs because of the wind, the temperature was 70 and it was sunny. We really had a beautiful riding day.
[attachment=5]RAK Day 2 036.jpg[/attachment]
Here is a link to all of today's pictures
DAY #2 https://plus.google.com/photos/11299171 ... 52ij9CNxQE

DAY 3 ++ Today we logged the northwest corner, Kansas, Nebraska and Colorado, kinda. We have tried to find the survery markers at each corner. The exact location of this marker seems to be unknown and would require a lot of riding on gravel /sand roads so we got as close as we could and called it. The people of St Francis claim to be the corner and feel anyone who goes further is crazy, we did!! We started in Goodland and rode 465 to Marysville. This made 1341 total miles so far. We had a beautiful day of riding and everyone is having a good time.
[attachment=4]RAK Day 3 025.jpg[/attachment]
Thanks to Missy for taking the pictures. She has been a wonderful riding companion and everyone has enjoyed her cheerful attitude.
Here is a link to all the pictures she took today. I see there is a problem with the links I will try to correct this.
DAY #3 https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1129 ... _uDaidObQw

DAY 4 ++ We made it home (Monday 4/8/13) Total miles for Melissa and me was 1,515. Today was 174 miles. We found that the point for the northeast corner was in the middle of the Missouri River. Therefore we called the corner as 1st and Main in White Cloud, KS. You will see our picture has the Missouri River in the background. [attachment=3]RAK Day 4 011.jpg[/attachment]
Here is the link to all the pictures Melissa took on our last day.
DAY #4 https://plus.google.com/photos/11299171 ... tCi89eXvgE

So if you ask what I thought about our Ride Around Kansas, I would answer it this way. The four corners didn't turnout to be the highlight of the trip. The highlight of the trip was our beautiful state, interesting points of interest and wonderful people. Who knew they were some many fun places to visit in Kansas. I hope you can find the beauty and fun of our trip through the pictures we took. Ten of us started as relative strangers and after 4 days and 1500 miles we now have a special friendship.

I would like to thank Melissa for talking John into planning this trip. He is the best!! He finds the places to see, eat and sleep. He learns everyone's personality and makes sure everyone is included and has a good time. John thanks from all of us. It was a great trip, especially the job you did on the weather! Couldn't have been better. Hope for many more rides with you.
[attachment=2]RAK Day 1 037.jpg[/attachment]

Here is a list of most of the places we visited on our ride to the Four Corners of Kansas. It should give you a enough information that you can find more information if you want. I also have a list that has the links to the websites if you want me to send it to you. These are some interesting places you can visit in a day or a weekend. I hope you visit some of them. You will be glad you did. It starts clockwise from Lenexa, KS

Friday:
Leave McDonalds 87th and I435 in Lenexa 8:00 AM April 5
--Frontier Military Scenic Byway
Leave McDonalds US 69 Louisburg at 8:45
--visit 2 Grand Old Ladies of Kansas in Pittsburg (photo stops on the Eastern Kansas Tour Riders Land of Ahhs tour)
--Eisler Bros Market Route 66
--4 Women on the Route Route 66
--Southeast corner marker
--Bush Creek Marsh Arch Rainbow Bridge Route 66
--visit another Grand Old Lady in Independence

Saturday:
--Gypsum Hills Scenic Byway
--Big Basin & St. Jacob's Well
--Southwest marker
--Cimarron National Grassland

Sunday:
If you were on our Texas tour last year, bring your t-shirt and wear it on Sunday.
-- Giant Van Gogh
-- Arikaree Breaks and/or Cheyenne County sites depending on what the roads are like
--We’ll get close to the Northwest marker but I doubt that we will be able to reach it
--Home on the Range cabin
--Geographical Center of the United States (contiguous 48)
--Pawnee Indian Village

Monday:
-- Pony Express Statue and maybe a black squirrel
--Davis Memorial
--Peter Toth Indian Monument
--Mark Sampsel Lincoln bust
--Wilbur Chapman Monument
--Glacial Hills Scenic Byway
--Frontier Military Scenic Byway North section

My mileage and gas expense (2013 Gold Wing GL1800 2up)
39.19 miles per gallon
1527 miles
38.963 gallons of gas used
$135.96 cost of gas
3.609 highest price paid for gas was in Meade, KS
3.329 lowest price paid Joplin, MO (southeast corner) except back home in KC, MO 3.299
Kansas Tourism.JPG
Since I have posted this I am now receiving a lot of info on Kansas. I think this website was worth sharing. The restaurant side lists a lot of the restaurants we have been to and liked. We need to checkout some of the others as well as the attractions!
http://kansastravel.org/index.htm
Attachments
Corner #2 Southwest KS, OK,CO
Corner #2 Southwest KS, OK,CO
Geographic Center of lower 48, near Lebanon, KS
Geographic Center of lower 48, near Lebanon, KS
1st & Main, White Cloud, KS (our northeast corner)
1st & Main, White Cloud, KS (our northeast corner)
RAK Day 1 037.jpg