TUES 4/22 DEARBORN & KING CITY, MO

Moderators: Bob K., leesonthree, LongJohn

shoresr

TUES 4/22 DEARBORN & KING CITY, MO

Post by shoresr »

[attachment=5]weather1.jpg[/attachment]The forecast for Tuesday is the best we have had all year, 70 degrees and sunny, so I have tried to plan a fun day. Charge the battery, fill the tires, wash the bike, fill'er with gas and let's RIDE.
[attachment=4]Cook's Corner Cafe.JPG[/attachment]
Cook's Corner Cafe breakfast till 11:00
214 Main Street
Dearborn, MO 64439
(816) 450-3600 Camie

Here is the link to all the Romeo Rides this week:
http://tinyurl.com/Romeo-Rides-This-Week

This is one of our favorite places and we always have a big crowd
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2090&p=5003&hilit=dearborn#p5003

But wait there's more----
Since this is going to be such a beautiful day to ride I have added an optional adventure.
[attachment=3]Wind Farm.jpg[/attachment]

A WIND FARM IN KING CITY, MO

If you are like me you have questions about "wind farms" and "wind turbines". How much does the landowner get paid? How much electricity do they make? How much noise do they make? What are the environmental concerns?.....
[attachment=2]WindDiagram_Lg.gif[/attachment]
I have found the place to get all those questions answered and maybe an up close and personal look!!

Here's my idea. Let's all go to Cook's Corner Cafe for breakfast or lunch. You pick your time breakfast or danish, but let's leave Dearborn at 10:30 and ride a beautiful ride to King City, MO and learn about Wind Farms. If you don't want to go any further enjoy Cook's Corner. They serve breakfast till 11:00. Enjoy your meal
[attachment=1]Map Dearborn to King City.jpg[/attachment]
This should be a nice ride about 60 miles. We will go straight to the Wind Farm Visitors Center. There is a $2 charge to go upstairs. I have talked to Lois Reynolds at the visitors center and after we finish at the museum, she is going to ask the Mayor of King City to give us a tour of the Wind Farm, up close and personal. No one has talked to the Mayor, but Lois says he will be glad to if he is in town. (I happen to know he is in Delaware for Easter and may not be back)

We should be through sightseeing no later than 1:00 pm and I have talked to:

FRIENDS CAFE (Red building on the south side of town. You will see it as we ride into town)
400 S. Connecticut St
King City, MO
660-535-4414 (Angela, Heather or Shelby...I have talked to everyone in the town)

It will be about 1:00, depending on what you feel like, the lunch special at Friends is Fried Chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy!! or the have the "BEST PIE IN NORTHERN MISSOURI!"

I will be happy to lead back south, back roads or highways, your choice.

So, that's my plan. I hope you can join part or all of this adventure. Feel free to just go to Dearborn or join us for the ride to King City. Come and go as you please, have a great day and be careful.

Summary of the trip to King City
10:30 Leave the Corner Cafe in Dearborn
11:30 Tour the Wind Farm Visitor's Information Center and possibly guided tour through the Wind Farm.
1:00 Meet at Friends Cafe, King City, for lunch or pie!!
2:00 Head home!![attachment=0]windfarm072709.png[/attachment]
Attachments
weather1.jpg
weather1.jpg (194.49 KiB) Viewed 1010 times
Cook's Corner Cafe.JPG
Cook's Corner Cafe.JPG (38 KiB) Viewed 1010 times
Wind Farm.jpg
Wind Farm.jpg (7.8 KiB) Viewed 1010 times
WindDiagram_Lg.gif
WindDiagram_Lg.gif (87.38 KiB) Viewed 1010 times
Map Dearborn to King City.jpg
Map Dearborn to King City.jpg (67.1 KiB) Viewed 1010 times
King City, MO
King City, MO
windfarm072709.png (52.35 KiB) Viewed 1010 times
retreadd

Re: TUES 4/22 DEARBORN & KING CITY, MO

Post by retreadd »

Thanks Roger for setting up the ride, we had a great time riding the "Back Roads" good food & very nice visits...
Retreadd....Bill & Linda
shoresr

RIDE REPORT..TUES 4/22 DEARBORN & KING CITY, MO

Post by shoresr »

If you had half as much fun today as I did you had a GREAT DAY!! Thanks for coming, YOU are what makes it fun.[attachment=22]IMG_4839.JPG[/attachment]When I arrived at Cook's Corner Cafe, in Dearborn at 9:30 the place was packed.[attachment=21]IMG_4838.JPG[/attachment]Cook's is such a nice place and whenever we go there we have a big crowd.[attachment=20]IMG_4837.JPG[/attachment]I had planned to leave Dearborn at 10:30 and I thought there is no way they are going to get all these ROMEOs fed by 10:30.[attachment=19]IMG_4836.JPG[/attachment]Denny loves to have a audience :lol: [attachment=18]IMG_4834.JPG[/attachment]And Harold and the Gardner Crew got tied up in traffic and were running a little late.[attachment=17]IMG_4835.JPG[/attachment]I was sure the folks going to King City to the Wind Farm would be served last :o We had Romeos from Paola, Topeka(3), Lone Jack (5?), Butler (3), St Joe, Camdenpoint, Lawrence(3). We just about covered the map. One thing that was nice about today was that everyone could do there own thing. Some went no further than Dearborn, and they have a great ride and a great day, others went to King City. Someone said 36 followed me and I think Randy said he had 13 follow him. His group was happier because he didn't take them on gravel and they never had to turn around :oops: [attachment=16]IMG_4841.JPG[/attachment]One way or another around 50 Romeos made it to the Wind Farm Visitors Center in King City around 11:45. Randy's left after me, made it to King City 15 minutes before me and never rode on gravel. :? [attachment=15]IMG_4840.JPG[/attachment][attachment=14]IMG_4842.JPG[/attachment]I knew those blades were big but you don't know how really BIG they are till you stand beside them. :shock: [attachment=13]IMG_4843.JPG[/attachment]One of the highlights of the adventure was our visit with Mike Waltimouth (816-830-8442) Mike owns a farm that has 8 wind generators on it :!: He was so nice and generous with his time and information. [attachment=12]IMG_4844.JPG[/attachment][attachment=11]IMG_4845.JPG[/attachment][attachment=10]IMG_4846.JPG[/attachment][attachment=9]IMG_4847.JPG[/attachment][attachment=8]IMG_4848.JPG[/attachment]As long as the questions kept coming, Mike was eager to stay around and answer. I know Mike had better things to do than spend time with us and we really appreciated the time he spent with us.[attachment=7]IMG_4849.JPG[/attachment]We were promised "upclose and personal" and Sheri proved it. ;) [attachment=3]IMG_4855.JPG[/attachment]The breakfast at Dearborn had about worn off so we headed to Friends Cafe for the much publizied Fried Chicken :D [attachment=1]IMG_4850.JPG[/attachment]I don't think everyone got fried chicken that wanted it. :oops: I felt bad because I had talked to our waittress Shelby so many times and she was so upset about running out of chicken that she saved me a plate.

I guess I need some help with estimating. I worry about these small restaurants in small towns... cooking a lot of food and having no one show up and I seem to always underestimate. Our goal is to help these restaurants and if they have all their profit wrapped up in food that doesn't get eaten, we haven't done what set out to do. Think about it, how many would you have guessed would have written 100 to 150 miles to see a wind farm and remember last week in Weston we had about 25?? :?: :!: :?: ....... Promise, I really do try to give you good food and good service. After all that is 2, of the 4 things we ride for. The other two are a good ride and most importantly GOOD FRIENDS. [attachment=6]IMG_4851.JPG[/attachment][attachment=5]IMG_4852.JPG[/attachment][attachment=4]IMG_4853.JPG[/attachment]Oops Randy got the HOT ONE :o [attachment=2]IMG_4854.JPG[/attachment][attachment=0]Spanky!!.jpg[/attachment]Please don't worry about my numbers comment. Today couldn't have been better. Thanks for coming and being the nice folks you are. :D

Oh I forgot mention. As I was leaving the Visitor's Center another group of Romeos had just rode in and were looking at the blades. There was another 10 to 14 (who knows how many, the way I count) in this group. Leading this group was the guy that had suggested King City and the Wind Farm. I would like to thank him for all of us and say I am sorry I don't know his name. If you have a place you think the group would enjoy, let me know. This is your "club".

Gary and I will be doing the the Ride Around Missouri with John E. next week, so Randy has volunteered take over the duties. Let's all ride safe and have fun!! Roger "ROMEO"
Attachments
IMG_4839.JPG
Nice to see Bill and Linda back from Texas and of course, Santa Greg
Nice to see Bill and Linda back from Texas and of course, Santa Greg
IMG_4837.JPG
IMG_4836.JPG
IMG_4834.JPG
IMG_4835.JPG
IMG_4841.JPG
IMG_4840.JPG
IMG_4842.JPG
IMG_4843.JPG