TUESDAY, 8/21, ADRIANA'S, ADRIAN, MO

Moderators: Bob K., leesonthree, LongJohn

rcrgl1800

TUESDAY, 8/21, ADRIANA'S, ADRIAN, MO

Post by rcrgl1800 »

The Kansas City Area Romeos will be going to Adriana's in Adrian, MO on Tuesday, August 21. Adriana's opens at 11:00, sorry no breakfast, and is mainly Italian. However; their menu is varied and I believe everyone will find something to their liking. They are having a special of broasted chicken this tuesday. Carol and I have eaten there many times and have always enjoyed our meal, especially their authentic italian dishes. Adrianna's is owned and operated by Pam and Patrick Culp of Adrian. Patrick is a retired cruise ship captain on an Alaskan cruise ship and Pam managed the galley on the ship. They both ride and are excited to have the Romeos there.

Adrian is also the home of our oldest Romeo, Mel Smith. Mel is struggling with cancer now and we hope he might be strong enough to make an apearance on Tuesday. Mel is probably responsible for up to one fourth of the Romeos in the Kansas City Area. He has always spread the word of the Romeos and has been a great ambassador.

The weather is supposed to be good Tuesday and we expect to see a large turnout. Adriana's can seat 60-65 so be patient and enjoy the fellowship.

Received a call from Patrick at Adriana's. He said they will be there and unlock the door at 10:30 for us and maybe get a little earlier start.

Roger received the following e-mail from Mel's daughter

Hi Roger - It's Pam Smith, Mel's daughter - sending you a note from Dad's PC.

First, let me tell you that I know it will mean A LOT for Dad to see the Romeo's drive by tomorrow - Debbie, Mom and I think it is a great tribute and compliment. As you may know he had hoped to sit outside (on his Gyro) as the group drives thru our circle drive (address is 106 Elgin Street). However, at this point Dad is not going to be able to get outside - rather he plans to be seated inside at the front door looking out at and enjoying the group! What a fabulous joy for him this will be!!

So that we can plan for him to be in the right place at the right time - I'd love it if we could arrange a specific time - or small range of time - for when the drive-by will occur. Perhaps 1:00-1:15 ?

He will physically be inside the house looking out - but he will absolutely be on his bike and riding with the whole group in spirit.

Thanks so much,
Pam

FYI; Mel's address is 106 Elgin, Adrian, MO 64720

Randy

[attachment=1]IMG_0234.JPG[/attachment]
Adriana's
700 N Old Hwy 71
Adrian, MO 64720

[attachment=0]100_0338[1].jpg[/attachment]Mel and his jet powered helmet

Herschel Cole is Mel's nephew and has ridden to the Romeos a few times with Mel. He checked with Mel and Geraldine and they don't believe Mel can come to the restaurant. They would however like for us to at least ride by Mel's after lunch. He will enjoy seeing all the motorcycles and Romeos.
Attachments
IMG_0234.JPG
100_0338[1].jpg
100_0338[1].jpg (36.29 KiB) Viewed 1684 times
Last edited by rcrgl1800 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:29 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Parkville Rider

Re: TUESDAY, 8/21, ADRIANNA'S, ADRIAN, MO

Post by Parkville Rider »

Get directions from our google map. All the rides for this week:
http://tinyurl.com/Romeo-Rides-This-Week
Gary D.
a.k.a. Romeo Map Genie
Parkville MO
2014 BMW K1600GT
shoresr

Re: TUESDAY, 8/21, ADRIANA'S, ADRIAN, MO

Post by shoresr »

In view of our visit to Adrian next Tuesday I wrote the following to Mel.

************************************************************************************************************************************

Mel:
I have been getting your updates and I appreciate it. I don't know what to say or do, but know I am with you.

I have asked Randy Roberts to setup a Romeo lunch at Adriana's this Tuesday. We are coming to Adrian in honor of you and all you have done for the Romeos. I know everyone would like to say hello to you, but we understand. Let me know what would be appropriate. If you feel like it you could come to the restaurant. I know it depends how you feel at the moment. If you don't feel like getting out of bed we can just stop in your driveway for a few minutes and you don't even have to get up. I know it is hard for you to talk, so don't frustrate yourself and think you have to talk, everyone understands.

You have been such a good friend to so many guys. The first time I met you was at Tightwad and you and I rode to Warsaw together. I am attaching a picture of you and me below the dam on the that day. You are a great friend!!

Have a safe ride,
Roger

********************************************************************************************************************************************

I received the following response from Mel

*******************************************************************************************************************************************

Roger,
Isn't it just amazing that things have worked out in such a wonderful fashion!!!!??? The plan is subject to change ofcourse but here is what comes to mind first. My cousin Hershall Cole will be the new proud owner of the GYRO and he will shine it all up and after the meal I will take my portable oxygen with me and sit on the shady side of the tree and watch all the excitement .!!! We have no "noise restrictions in town" that I know of so do what ever you like to do. My vocal chords are both paralized and when I talk it wiggles them and It makes me insist to "clear my throat" then I choke and have terrible time stopping. It is still several days and hard to tell what kind of shape I will be in by then but If I can't get out I can get to the back porch where it will be shady and I can still see & enjoy the whole show, don't know how to express my gratitude but you know it will be there. I have some lists I send the up-dates to and would like for you to send this to them too. I have really ENJOYED AND APPRECIATE THE ROMEO'S!!!!!!
Mel
rcrgl1800

Post by rcrgl1800 »

A prayer for Mel
As you anticipate the new adventure you are about to start please be patient as the Lord is preparing a special place for you where the blacktop is always smooth, the roads are always hilly and winding, the scenery is always beautiful, the Burgman always runs smooth, the temperature is always perfect, you never need a rain suit and you make new friends at every stop. This is the heaven being prepared for you. Scout these new adventures and map them on your map for the rest of us to see someday. As we remain behind we will miss you but we will also know you are enjoying your new adventure.
Amen

shoresr

Post by shoresr »

I received this note from a friend of Mel's in Grove, OK. He is going to try to attend. (I emailed him to try to clear up his confusion)

Roger:

Is it known where we are meeting to eat lunch? I've been to Mel's house many years ago and haven't been around Adrian at all so I'll have to hunt to find the cafe but as small as the town is I don't think that would be to hard. I think this meet is an excellent idea and will show Mel how much we think of him. I've got a Doctor's appoint Tuesday and will call tomorrow and see if I can change it. It's probably about a three hour drive from Grove, OK where I live so I'll have to leave early to get there by noon.

Dave
Grove, OK
lizdave2008@yahoo.com

Just wanted to share with all. The first picture was Teetie Bird, Mel, and myself at the Gadget place at Eureka Springs.
[attachment=1]2008_03260011.JPG[/attachment][attachment=0]2008_03260010.JPG[/attachment]

Dave
Attachments
2008_03260011.JPG
2008_03260010.JPG
shoresr

Post by shoresr »

This is a note I received from Mel's daughter, Pam

Hi Roger - It's Pam Smith, Mel's daughter - sending you a note from Dad's PC.

First, let me tell you that I know it will mean A LOT for Dad to see the Romeo's drive by tomorrow - Debbie, Mom and I think it is a great tribute and compliment. As you may know he had hoped to sit outside (on his Gyro) as the group drives thru our circle drive (address is 106 Elgin Street). However, at this point Dad is not going to be able to get outside - rather he plans to be seated inside at the front door looking out at and enjoying the group! What a fabulous joy for him this will be!!

He will physically be inside the house looking out - but he will absolutely be on his bike and riding with the whole group in spirit.

Thanks so much,
Pam
shoresr

Post by shoresr »

Roger -
Dad did not make it thru the night - he passed away at 1:30a this morning. Debbie and I were by his side and he went peacefully. Mom knows he is now in a better place (Debbie said he's probably driving a scooter around up there!!).

While I am heart broken he won't be able to enjoy the ROMEOs in person one final time, I know that he will be watching and smiling down on the whole group.

I'm going to try and phone you so you can share with the group - the ROMEOs were so enjoyable and significant to him that talking about the drive by, esp without Dad here, does make real emotional. He received some totally fantastic e-mail, pictures & jokes from many riders - the last couple days we read mail to him and he would smile and acknowledge. (I told him I learned some stories about him!!! ha - most were of how he had made an impact on folks' lives)

So, on behalf of Dad' and his family - we salute the ROMEOs. We consider this a high tribute and will be honored by any who circle by today!
Thank you Roger,
Pam
rcrgl1800

Post by rcrgl1800 »

When I arrived at Adriana's at 10:30 the lot was close to full and there were many more bikes still arriving. The turnout was exceptionaly large today as not only were we meeting to eat we were also there to celebrate the life of Mel Smith. We were in hopes that Mel would still be with us however he passed this morning with his family present. As word passed through the gathering crowd some were wondering if we will still parade past Mel's home. Mel's family had asked that we continue with our plans to parade through their circle drive. This will be a good way to honor Mel and his connection with his many Romeo friends. At 12:15 several of the Romeos paraded to Mel's home. After parading through his circle drive several Romeos stopped to visit with the family. They appreciated our concern for Mel and them and wanted to thank all of the Romeos.

At one time there was a count of 73 motorcycles and a handful of cages that brought Romeos to Adrian today. There was no official count but with the tow-ups and cages I would anticipate a crown of 100+. We overwelmed the staff at Adriana's as we instantly filled the dining room when the door was unloked. We more than filled the place twice and the staff tried to take care of us. It took a while for some to be served and the staff wished to thank everyone for their patience. Pam said "this is the best day we have ever had."

Bob took several pictures today and so did some other Romeos and their pictures will follow soon. There will be an article in the Adrian Journal and Bates County News Express this week. I will try to get some copies and bring them next week.

Proud to be a Romeo
Randy

[attachment=0]romeos IMG_0975[1].JPG[/attachment]Just part of the group. This picture will be in the Adrian Journal

[attachment=1]photo[1].JPG[/attachment]Roger and Pam from Adriana's. The best day they have had.

Attachments
photo[1].JPG
romeos IMG_0975[1].JPG
Last edited by rcrgl1800 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rcrgl1800

Post by rcrgl1800 »

My Last ‘Cycle’ Trip

by Melvin Smith

Over the years I have written many articles for the Adrian Journal
about motorcycle trips I have taken and now I’m writing an articlemore difficult - about my ‘Final Trip’ - my life cycle trip!

The Good Lord has blessed me in many ways including a great family, a loving wife,
two wonderful daughters, a great son-in-law and a fantastic granddaughter. While I
have lived in Adrian all my life, and always called Adrian home, I’ve seen most of the
world - and been so far West, it was called the Far East! On another trip Jeweldine and I
toured Egypt and the Holy Land. And, I have traveled by almost every imaginable mode
of transportation not to mention the 18 motorcycles I have owned. The Good Lord now
has blessed me with time to plan my final trip, so I want to share how I would like my
life cycle to conclude.

I do not like the normal visitation and funeral. In fact, I think a typical visitation is
uncomfortable for friends and very painful for the family. Therefore, I have requested a
visitation day without my family present where my friends can visit at their convenience.
I will ‘lie in state’with hours extended to 6 pm for those who want to visit afer work. I’ll
ask everyone at the visitation to sign the register and write a note to my family that they
will read at a less stressful time. I’ve instructed my family and the funeral home that I
want a graveside service rather than a funeral.

Taking pictures was one of my many hobbies and, like a lot of other things I enjoy I
think, “If it is worth doing, it is worth doing to excess!!” A standing joke with my friends
when I could get them to look at pictures with me is as they left they would tell me “Remember
I have seen roll 18 (or whatever roll we had just viewed)”!! So, for my visitation
rather than have an endless tape of pictures running we will just have the old fashioned
picture table with only my Wedding Album, my Scrap Book “Cycle Trips 1957 to 2011”,
and a picture of our home for the last 59 years. I will ask my kids and family to bring
whatever other pictures they would want to share.

The morning following the visitation will be my graveside service. Folks will gather
at the cemetery for the Masonic and Military Service and my Son-in-Law will have
charge of the rest of the service.
I never did enjoy group singing, but in this instance
when the service is over I would like the
group to loudly sing all three verses and choruses
of “Just a Closer Walk With thee”.

Sincerely with Heart Felt Thanks!!!
Melvin Smith]
gallery Adrian 006.JPG
gallery Adrian 006.JPG (48.36 KiB) Viewed 1417 times
5504doug@gmail.com

Post by 5504doug@gmail.com »

Never met Mel. Wish I had. With a tear in my eye, I read these posts. You guys-n-gals are a good Family. Great to see photo's and to kinda like....be there....even though physically not. But, always in heart & mind. Prayers to Mel's Family! Doug
TomK

Post by TomK »

If we EVER wonder about Romeo's making a difference, Mel's story should provide the answer. Never met Mel, that I know of, wish I had. Have no idea how many of the KC group I have met, probably not very many. Not embarassed to admit I get teary eyed when I read stories such as this. You are all good people Romeo's, maybe because you are Romeo's in part, but more so "just" good people. Businesses appreciate us I know, but we should all appreciate each other, with pride.
shovelmike

Post by shovelmike »

Mel was a very friendly, outgoing gentleman and my life is richer for having him as a friend.
The tribute ride was wonderful, Mel would have loved it.
Image Here is my dear wife in her red Romeos shirt. She loved visiting with Mel at the lunches, and we are very pleased that we were able to be part of today's ride.
A very good turn out today, completely overwhelmed the staff, but they did a great job!
Bob K.

Post by Bob K. »

Melvin's other passion was Purple Martins.
Melvin's other passion was Purple Martins.
Just some of his Purple Martin houses.
Just some of his Purple Martin houses.
[attachment=23]08-21-12 Romeos Mel Smith 005.JPG[/attachment][attachment=22]08-21-12 Romeos Mel Smith 009.JPG[/attachment][attachment=21]08-21-12 Romeos Mel Smith 010.JPG[/attachment][attachment=20]08-21-12 Romeos Mel Smith 015.JPG[/attachment][attachment=19]08-21-12 Romeos Mel Smith 016.JPG[/attachment][attachment=18]08-21-12 Romeos Mel Smith 029.JPG[/attachment][attachment=17]08-21-12 Romeos Mel Smith 053.JPG[/attachment][attachment=16]08-21-12 Romeos Mel Smith 057.JPG[/attachment][attachment=15]08-21-12 Romeos Mel Smith 022.JPG[/attachment][attachment=14]08-21-12 Romeos Mel Smith 017.JPG[/attachment][attachment=13]08-21-12 Romeos Mel Smith 024.JPG[/attachment][attachment=12]08-21-12 Romeos Mel Smith 037.JPG[/attachment][attachment=11]08-21-12 Romeos Mel Smith 064.JPG[/attachment][attachment=10]08-21-12 Romeos Mel Smith 055.JPG[/attachment][attachment=9]08-21-12 Romeos Mel Smith 065.JPG[/attachment][attachment=8]08-21-12 Romeos Mel Smith 070.JPG[/attachment][attachment=7]08-21-12 Romeos Mel Smith 074.JPG[/attachment][attachment=6]08-21-12 Romeos Mel Smith 076.JPG[/attachment][attachment=5]08-21-12 Romeos Mel Smith 077.JPG[/attachment][attachment=4]08-21-12 Romeos Mel Smith 078.JPG[/attachment][attachment=3]08-21-12 Romeos Mel Smith 079.JPG[/attachment][attachment=2]08-21-12 Romeos Mel Smith 081.JPG[/attachment]
Attachments
08-21-12 Romeos Mel Smith 005.JPG
Letting some Romeos know Mel had passed away during the night.
Letting some Romeos know Mel had passed away during the night.
08-21-12 Romeos Mel Smith 010.JPG
08-21-12 Romeos Mel Smith 015.JPG
08-21-12 Romeos Mel Smith 016.JPG
08-21-12 Romeos Mel Smith 029.JPG
08-21-12 Romeos Mel Smith 053.JPG
08-21-12 Romeos Mel Smith 057.JPG
Number One Romeo
Number One Romeo
08-21-12 Romeos Mel Smith 017.JPG
08-21-12 Romeos Mel Smith 024.JPG
08-21-12 Romeos Mel Smith 037.JPG
Pam not only wore a motorcycle shirt she rode her bike to work.
Pam not only wore a motorcycle shirt she rode her bike to work.
Pam's bike.
Pam's bike.
Melvin Smiths home Adrian, MO
Melvin Smiths home Adrian, MO
Mel's Honda Gyro, his daughter Debbie said he put 9000 miles on it going to the post office!  He was always cruising town, visiting and helping friends.
Mel's Honda Gyro, his daughter Debbie said he put 9000 miles on it going to the post office! He was always cruising town, visiting and helping friends.
Randy led the group through the drive past his family in a show of respect and honor.
Randy led the group through the drive past his family in a show of respect and honor.
08-21-12 Romeos Mel Smith 076.JPG
08-21-12 Romeos Mel Smith 077.JPG
08-21-12 Romeos Mel Smith 078.JPG
08-21-12 Romeos Mel Smith 079.JPG
Pam telling Roger how much the family appreciated our gesture.
Pam telling Roger how much the family appreciated our gesture.