South Central Lunch Ride: Wednesday, October 11, 11:00 AM

roginoz

South Central Lunch Ride: Wednesday, October 11, 11:00 AM

Post by roginoz »

We probably ought to take advantage of the good fall riding weather while we can. Right now it looks like Wednesday will be cool and dry: fifty degrees at 10:00 AM and fifty-six at noon. A medium weight jacket ought to do the trick.

The Latham Saloon has re-opened under new management; it's more of a restaurant than a bar. They have a daily special, burgers and other sandwiches, and salads. Our trusty scouts tell me that the food's pretty good, and the staff informed me that Wednesday is chicken fried steak and chicken fried chicken day (maybe some pork tenderloin sandwiches, too.) The kitchen is kind of small, so if one of the daily special looks good to you, it'll get you fed more quickly.

Latham is less than fifty miles, and about fifty minutes, from Wichita. Remember to look out for the Leon policeman if you're traveling past their town on US 400. The speed limit drops abruptly to 50 mph, and there's a 45 mph school zone when the lights are flashing.

I've been told that there's a bridge on the road between Atlanta and Latham that's been closed for repairs. Best to be aware, if you're coming from the south.

TIME:
11:00 AM, Wednesday, October 11

PLACE:

Latham Saloon
226 W Blaine St.
Latham, KS
(620) 965-2340

MAP:
Gary has, or will soon have, a map up at the following link:

http://bit.ly/1uLkbOc
Roger Smith
'05 Honda ST1300
'20 Triumph Speed Twin
'12 Harley XR1200X
'09 Kawasaki KLR650
'73 Honda CL350
lsauzek

Re: South Central Lunch Ride: Wednesday, October 11, 11:00 AM

Post by lsauzek »

Actullay the Bridge is out if you come from leon. Its out North of Smilyville
roginoz

Re: South Central Lunch Ride: Wednesday, October 11, 11:00 AM

Post by roginoz »

We had twenty-seven people, and twenty-four bikes, in Latham today. The bikes traveled a total of 1262 miles, one way, to the Latham Saloon. The trip home was probably a bit longer; at least eight of us took the road south through Cambridge on the way home. A good day to ride, and a good road to ride on.

The food was good, and reasonably priced. It was a bit of a job for the small kitchen to get all of us fed, but I felt it was worth the wait. It's good to see another small town restaurant come back to life.

No photos this week; Charlie and Ron are in Iowa touring the motorcycle museum. (I'm going to have to get up there someday...)

We'll probably be heading north and a bit west next week. I get the ride posted after I check in with the restaurant.
Roger Smith
'05 Honda ST1300
'20 Triumph Speed Twin
'12 Harley XR1200X
'09 Kawasaki KLR650
'73 Honda CL350