Announcement - Tips for New Users

Who are you and what do you ride? Show us your bike!
sysadmin
Site Admin

Announcement - Tips for New Users

Post by sysadmin »

A couple of tips if you are not used to these forums or the Internet in general:

While this seems like our own quiet little community of friendly bikers riding to lunch, keep in mind that Google indexes even this web site to make every word searchable across the entire planet. That's not such a bad thing, it is what makes them such a valuable tool. But you should take some precautions to protect your privacy. Don't use your full name, first and last, if you don't want to be searched for. I wouldn't list my phone number or email in a post either (spammers can find you). The email you list in your profile for others to email you is protected, however, and is not indexed by Google.

But this is also a social place and one of the main purposes is to get to know each other. So while you use user names that are usually cryptic it would be nice if you would sign just your first name to your posts so we know who we are talking to. Hint: all you Don's out there will have to work out a code or something!

Since the forums also have to do with where we ride, we should all put where we live in our profiles so our friends can see. That way your city and state will show up with your name on the right. You can do this by editing your profile. At the top, click on the "User Control Panel" then click on the second tab "Profile". Look down the list for "Location" and enter your city and state. Look at the options on the left if you want to make a signature that will automatically appear at the end of your posts, or an avatar if you want one of those (picture).

Hope this is useful to you! Don't forget to check out the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) at the top right for a lot of good information.

If you have any problems or questions about the system feel free to send me an email - just click on the little email symbol on the right and the system will send your email to my personal inbox at home. Note that you will never see my actual email address - the system does a good job of hiding our personal information.

Jerry