New to Forum, NC Arkansas

Who are you and what do you ride? Show us your bike!
ARGary

New to Forum, NC Arkansas

Post by ARGary »

Hello; my name is Gary and I have been riding occasionally with the ROMEO group based in Mountain Home, Arkansas for about 6 months. I also ride with an informal group of guys based in Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas; this group also rides together about once a week.

I have been riding since 1958. My first ride was a new Sears "Jetstar" scooter made by Cushman, and my first "real" motorcycle was a used Ducati 98 in 1962. Both were used on morning paper routes, but most of the miles I put on the Ducati were back and forth to the dealer for parts.

I guess I have had about 20 or so motorcycles over the past 50 years. At present I have a black 2017 Harley Davidson Street Glide Special that I bought new, a 2003 Triumph Bonneville T100 that I purchased new, and a 2014 Honda CRF250 dual purpose bike that I also purchased new. Most of the bikes I have owned were purchased new as I learned that one can easily spend more than a new one costs on parts needed to refurbish a used bike.

I traded in a very nice 2005 Harley Davidson Super Glide on a new 2016 Harley Street Glide last summer, then proceeded to total the 2016 on a ride by myself on the way to meet with the ROMEOs late one day last September. Unfortunately, at the time of the accident I was wearing a half helmet and landed face down in some large rocks; the rocks won. Now, I only wear a full face helmet.

The 2016 Street Glide was a sweet bike, but the 2017 is awesome with the new 107 ci. Milwaukee Eight engine (lots more power than the 103). better brakes, better suspension and nice improvements like the way better saddle bag mounts. Its the Rolls Royce of motorcycles.

Other than riding, I play golf a couple of times a week, I sell premium guitars on the side (Ebay store is ARGARY, same as my name on this forum), I collect guns, collect knives, collect coins, collect O gauge model trains, collect Harley models and was a weekend tournament bass fisherman for over 30 years. I now live on a lake and have my own dock with lifts for my bass boat, triton and 2 jet skis.

I also have a 2004 Corvette that I bought new after I had a bad heart attack in 2004. The heart attack was a good motivator for starting to complete my bucket list, and owning a new Corvette was near the top of the list (18 year old twin cheerleaders is still #1).

I also still work "full time" to keep health insurance for my wife who is 8 years younger than myself, but "full time" is mostly to be available on call and the actual work is less than one day a week.

I look forward to meeting more ROMEOs; all of the guys riding with the Mountain Home group have been very friendly. The variety of bikes they ride is incredible, especially since it seems 90% of the bikes on the road are Japanese Harley clones.
Unsafe at any Speed -
2017 Harley Street Glide Special
2003 Triumph Bonneville T100
2014 Honda CRF250
arkyleo

Re: New to Forum, NC Arkansas

Post by arkyleo »

Gary: A huge welcome to the ROMEOS. It's ironic how most of our motorcycle lifes history is so similar--you could have taken "Gary" out of your history and put "Leo" in---pretty much the same (only I had more bikes) ;) . I tried to add you to the reminder list but got smacked with a "spam" preventer, so just watch the forum for our next ride. Hope to see you soon. Leo
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT-LTD Red