North Central Kansas Weekly Ride 1/25/18

Moderator: Roadpounder

Roadpounder

North Central Kansas Weekly Ride 1/25/18

Post by Roadpounder »

My head was starting to swell at the prospect of finding a new place that was pretty close by. So I checked my database and it wasn't in there, and it didn't look familiar, so I called them and set up for Thursday 1/25. The weather is supposed to top our lower threshold. While gathering the info to put in my database I figured just for grins I'd look it up in the ROMEO web site by the address. Lo and behold it looks like Big Jim beat me to the punch last July when I was In WI. Be that as it may, we're set up for another visit this coming Thursday. I think I have the day and date in sync this time. :?

It's a go for Thursday! The weatherman is promising temps better than expected. We leave from Casey's on Ohio and Iron at 12:15. Beware of the Key Lime pie. :o

TIME....................1:00 THURSDAY

Here it is.............. Three One One
311 N Spruce St
Abilene, Kansas

(785) 200-6762

Facebook Page............https://www.facebook.com/Three-One-One- ... ?ref=br_rs

Web Page.............

Map site.............http://bit.ly/1uLkbOc

So far old man winter has been pretty easy on us. I'm hoping it will hold out for a while. Despite Fritz's protests I prepared for the ride and got out of the house before he could sneak out behind me. That would result in me chasing him around the neighborhood looking like a fool trying to coax him back home. Dachshunds really don't respond well to shouting. With my battery fading into the either I have to keep it on a charger if I don't ride the bike every day. So I had to unplug the bike before I could run my obligatory errands before heading to Casey's for the launch party. I still got an early start and arrived before anyone else. While waiting a guy walked up and started talking to me about my bike. I surmised that he was not a representative from Moto Guzzi when he seemed astonished that my bike wasn't an antique. The more he talked, the more entrenched my opinion became. Mercifully his phone rang and he took the call and walked off. Soon Terry rolled in and informed me that he wouldn't be able to join us for lunch as he had to press on to Fort Reilly, but he would take the lead to Abilene where John would take us the rest of the way to the restaurant. Um, sure. That sounds like a plan. He had heard that there may be some construction on the way so he mounted a scouting mission to check it out. As the others rolled in Terry returned with a green light. No problems with the route. Launch time came and we set out with Terry in the lead followed by John then me and the rest in tow. As we passed the Farm house and came up to 3rd street Terry pointed down 3rd and pressed on ahead. John turned down 3rd and the rest of us followed. That's when things went a little askew. As usual I had no idea where this place was so I dutifully followed John as we explored the inner reaches of Abilene. The further we explored the fewer of our group were in my mirrors, until it was down to John and I. Finally in desperation John called Peggy and got the address. Of course, as is the story of my life, we were on the wrong side of the tracks. We found our way back to 3rd street and found the food. Parking was a little scattered between the street and the public lot across the street. I got my little red camera out and started snapping. Wandering around the blend of cars and bikes I ran across a new Yamaha Venture that I've been hearing so much about. It looked like a really sweet ride. I later found that it belongs to Kai who is rightfully very pleased with it. I ran the numbers on my Social Security raise and found that it went up $34. The Medicare deduction went up $31. Leaving a net increase of $3. With that windfall I'll be putting in my order for my new Mercedes next week. But I digress. The sun seemed exceptionally bright and that darkened my glasses more than usual. When I got inside it was like walking into a black hole. I had to remove my glasses to see anything, which helped only marginally since it was now light enough to see the overall blur. I went about taking pictures hoping that the folks I was photographing were actually ROMEOs. The glasses finally lightened enough to be useful and I was back to as close to normal as someone of my caliber can get. With the main table full I found a place on the upper level with Don, his wife and Bud. The burgers looked pretty good and some of them were on special that day. I opted for the Mac and cheeseburger. A huge bacon cheeseburger topped with mac and cheese, with a side of home made chips. It was a handful. And the chips were great. Their only desert is Key Lime pie, for $6.50. Seems a bit pricey for a slice of pie, but in their defense, they do have it shipped up from Key West. Bud ordered a slice and shared it with the table. I have to say that that it's the best Key Lime pie in Kansas, possibly anywhere. That kind of takes the edge off the price. Bellies full the tire kicking session was in full swing when I got outside. I basked in the sunshine for a few minutes before gathering up my toys and mounting up for the ride home. I fired up and got 2 blocks away before remembering that I didn't get a shot of the front of the restaurant. I circled around the block and pulled up to get the shot. After I got the shot Emory came and commandeered my camera and got a shot of me (cringe). Shortly Terry pulled up, back from Fort Reilly. We joined up for the ride back to Salina. He peeled off to approach from his side on town while I pressed on straight. I managed to sneak in without setting off the wiener dog security system until I got to the door. I got in and collapsed into my chair, spent from another great winter ride.

We had riders from Salina, Abilene, Minneapolis, McPherson, Denmark, Culver, Lindsborg, and Canton, with the long distance being Steve Errebo From Denmark, at 77 Miles.

We were riding Honda, Harley, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, CanAm, and Moto Guzzi.

Don't take the "WING" part literally.
Don't take the "WING" part literally.
Attachments
102_0981.JPG
102_0982.JPG
102_0983.JPG
102_0984.JPG
102_0985.JPG
102_0986.JPG
102_0987.JPG
102_0988.JPG
102_0989.JPG