North Central Kansas Weekly Ride 1/17/18

Moderator: Roadpounder

Roadpounder

North Central Kansas Weekly Ride 1/17/18

Post by Roadpounder »

Old man winter is tightening his grip. Temps around 0 and polar bears hitch hiking south carrying signs reading Phoenix or bust. So at the world peace summit we decided the best course of action would be K State cafeteria for this week.

Time 12:00

Here's the place..............KSU Salina Cafeteria
2310 Centennial Rd.
Salina, KS 67401
785-826-2640 or 1-800-248-5782

Mode of transportation optional
1 wheel.png
1 wheel.png (199.15 KiB) Viewed 352 times
Well the weatherman didn't dump on us, but he could have made it better. Not a bad day but cold. So we fell back on our old standby, KSU cafeteria. I actually took the scenic route, Crawford to Ohio to Shilling to Centenial to KSU. Most of the driving I do in my truck is right in my neighborhood so it never gets warmed up. WARNING!! MECHANIC TIP COMING!! Repeated short trips that don't let the engine warm up builds up condensation in the crankcase. This accumulates and the resulting water goes into the oil and gets suspended as micro droplets. This causes the oil to look like coffee with cream. Needless to say that water isn't a very good lubricant so it negates some of the lubricating abilities of the oil. When all those engine parts rub together without adequate slipperiness they tend to eat themselves. Working on the premise that an ounce of prevention is worth about 600 pounds of cure (approximate weight of a new engine), I figured that it would be a good idea to let the truck warm up a bit to evaporate the moisture before it decided to replace the oil. I've had this truck for 15 years and I just got the 6 year old crash damage fixed, so I really don't cherish the idea of the engine falling out onto the pavement.

I got to the cafeteria just about on time. Some folks refer that to being almost late. About a third of the total group was there already. I worked my way through the chow line to find that the feature of the cay was ham. I just wasn't in a ham of state of mind so I made the most of the pizza they offered, and chased it with apple juice, one of my favorites. Others steadily streamed in and by the time came for the second assault on the pizza we had grown to about 20 in attendance. Before I mounted my second attack on the chow line I remembered that pictures were in order, so I went about getting in everyone's face with my little red camera. A few more slices of pizza and a bowl of soup later our table was pretty well filled up. No one was courageous enough to bring their bike exhibiting much more wisdom than courage. Bellies full we started to filter out. After a brief search I found my truck and managed to slither out of the parking spot that I had shoe horned my way into leaving minimal damage in my wake.
55 years later.jpg
55 years later.jpg (189.6 KiB) Viewed 234 times
Attachments
102_0968.JPG
102_0969.JPG
102_0970.JPG
102_0971.JPG
102_0972.JPG
102_0973.JPG
102_0974.JPG
102_0975.JPG
102_0976.JPG