North Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 8/10/17

Moderator: Roadpounder

Roadpounder

North Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 8/10/17

Post by Roadpounder »

I'M BACK!! LOCK UP THE SILVERWARE!! The trip to Wisconsin was pretty uneventful save for the little thunderstorm I
met in IOWA. OH! And the tip that Leo left for the housekeeper at the hotel.

The weatherman is throwing a monkey wrench in the works again. It looks like Thursday will be the best day. Its been about a year since we've been here but as I recall they had a pretty good buffet. I know we planned to be there at 1:00 but they close at 1:30 so I moved it up to 12:00.

It looks like the best shot is to meet at The Iron Skillet at 10:00.

TIME....................12:00

Here it is.............. Buffalo Roam Steakhouse
740 E South St (Hwy 36)
Mankato KS 66956
785-378-3971

Facebook page........https://www.facebook.com/Buffalo-Roam-S ... 7/?fref=ts

Web Page.............

Map site.............http://bit.ly/1uLkbOc

Well I'm back and this is my first ride after my return. I stumbled through my morning routine and got the bike and Leo ready. A new friend Jerry Jellison had a minor problem with is 1980 Yamaha XS850S. Nothing serious. Just a loose windshield,so he stopped over at my place to have me tighten it up. Some of you may remember his bike at the ride to Council Grove when I rode it there for a shake down. Anyway I got his carbs re jetted and fork seals changed. He decided to join us for the ride to Mankato. We got the offending bolts tightened and set off for the rendezvous at the Iron Skillet. I pulled up with the guys already there while Jerry gassed up. A little picture taking and lie swapping and some more rolled in. I was surprised to see John Crandall roll up on a silver Kawasaki Mean Streak identical to Big Jim's. Being a little slow on the uptake, as I am sometimes wont to do, it took some explaining to get me to understand that John bought Jim's bike. Being used to seeing John on his big red Goldwing It took a little time for me to put it all together. Finally we gathered 9 f us. Just as the others were firing up a truck driver walked up to me. He spotted my Guzzi and told me that he had 2. One of the reasons I bought the Guzzi is that it is something of a conversation piece. Sometimes it doesn't work out for the timing though. When I finally got on the road I had some catching up to do. I caught up and took the spot of tail end Charlie. I knew John was somewhere behind me but I couldn't see him in my mirror. When we got to the stop sign at K106 John was nowhere to be seen. We waited and soon he came around the bend behind 2 county cops. Not wishing to ruffle any feathers he decided to remain in tow behind the cops. We headed off again and before long we rolled into Mankato to meet the dawn patrol who always seems to get there first. As I was backing into my parking spot Jerry rolled in and his bike quit dead. No power at all. No lights, no horn, no blinkers, NOTHING! After pondering all the worst case scenarios short of an EMP attack we decided to forget it until after our belies were full. We entered and I got to my picture taking tasks. That being done I descended on the buffet like a ravenous hawk. It all looked good. I piled it on my plate and joined Jerry to ponder the situation over lunch. Great chicken,great ribs, great mashed potatoes and white gravy, and great iced tea. That plate finished I swooped in for another raid. This time adding the cream of broccoli soup. Overstuffed and lethargic I took Leo his piece of chicken and then several of us gathered around Jerry's bike to ponder the situation. Almost to the point of declaring the situation hopeless, someone suggested checking fuses. We struggled to get the seat off to gain access to the fuse box. LO AND BEHOLD the main fuse had given its all and vaporized itself. Fortunately the engineers at Yamaha saw fit to include two spares. We put a spare in and the system came alive. But all was not well. YET. No starter. We checked the ignition fuse and it looked good, albeit a little loose in the clip. A little squeeze on the clip to tighten it's grip and the ignition came alive too. I stayed with Jerry on the way back to Salina just any other misfortune were to befall him. All went well and he followed me to my place to get the bag I was carrying in my trunk. Despite the minor setbacks it was a great ride and a great day.

We had riders from Salina, Denmark, Russell, Sylvan Grove, Culver, and Canton, with the long distance being Harry Trueblood From Russell at 101 miles.

We were riding Honda, Harley, Yamaha, Suzuki, BMW, Kawasaki, Victory, and Moto Guzzi.

Biker Dog.jpg
Biker Dog.jpg (29.3 KiB) Viewed 480 times
Attachments
102_0010.JPG
102_0011.JPG
102_0012.JPG
102_0013.JPG
102_0014.JPG
102_0015.JPG
102_0016.JPG
102_0017.JPG
102_0018.JPG