North Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 6/30/17

Moderator: Roadpounder

Roadpounder

North Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 6/30/17

Post by Roadpounder »

This weeks ride comes courtesy of Emory Witt. We have been there before when it was under different management. Formerly known as [u]Velma's Lazy B Cafe[/u], and [u]The Clyde Cafe.[/u] The bad news is we aren't scheduled til Friday. Wednesday and Thursday the weather looks a little shaky, with Wednesday looking like the worst of the week. Friday their special is Beef Stroganoff. On a personal note, the slow boat from China finally arrived and I got my new screens for my cameras. I installed both and now have 2 more functional cameras. Now if I can resolve my issues with gravity, all will be right with the world.

[size=150][color=#4040FF]We had quite a large turnout for our high level committee meeting this morning. We're almost out growing Bayrd's! Through all the cacophony of our of our negotiations for ensuring the continued revolving of the earth, we decided that we will leave at [b]10:30[/b] from the [b]Iron Skillet.[/b] See you Friday. [/color][/size]

TIME....................12:00

Here it is.............. Twinks Tavern
325 Washington
Clyde, Kansas 66938

(785) 446-2107

Facebook Page............https://www.facebook.com/Twinks-Tavern- ... CH&fref=nf

Web Page.............

Map site.............http://bit.ly/1uLkbOc

This last week is best described as utter chaos. Just to add a little frosting to this cake, a few weeks ago I bought some of those new snazzy lithium batteries for my cordless tools, to the tune of $100. Well after burning up the initial charge I found out they wouldn't fit in my charger. So being Ryobe they came from Home Depot. The closest Home Depot to me is 60 miles away in Hutchinson. This, of course, necessitated an additional trip to Hutch. I set off to Hutch and got there to find there's no way to get to Home Depot without a GPS. Twisting through the most baroque and convoluted streets on the planet I managed to stumble my way to the entrance to the store. By this time fatigue and frustration are starting to take their toll. Entering the store I was accosted by the most aggravating creature known to man. The store greeter. I did my best not to go all King Cong on her. I made a Bee line to the place where I found the batteries. I naturally assumed that would be where I would find the chargers. Silly me. Why would anybody put the chargers by the very item with which they are used. At this point I'm dangerously close to having my own personal Manhattan project right there in the store. Frantically I start darting from isle to isle in search of the familiar lime green that Ryobe is using this year. I'm finding every conceivable cordless gadget known to man, none of which are in the same isle, but no chargers. Now, I did have the presence of mind to check whether or not they had any in stock before I set out on this adventure. Their web page said they had 8 in stock. Finally the heavens opened and the angels sang and the Holy Grail of my journey appeared on a shelf tucked in beside some nondescript gadget waiting for some gizmo freak to decide he can't live without it. I chose one that looked the least like the box had been through a wood chipper, and reassembled with mailing tape. I beat a hasty retreat to the checkout counter. My frustration meter quivering dangerously close to the red I opted to avoid the ensuing carnage dealing with a checkout clerk and dove toward the self checkout. The cyber gods must have taken mercy on me and all the modern technology worked so I could escape that mega marketing prison with a minimum of bloodshed. I got back on the bike and wandered aimlessly through the maze of streets in the parking lot desperately searching for a path leading to something that even remotely resembled a public thoroughfare. Finally I found the cheese and was released from the maze.

Wednesday finally got here and promised to be another perfect riding day. Once again I was early to the Iron Skillet but by launch time we had an even dozen. I fell in line somewhere in the middle and settled in for a pleasant ride. My road trip planner picked out a route through the back roads, but we went straight up to Concordia and took a right. We rolled into Clyde again meeting about half og the crew already there. I found a parking spot and got Leo settled. It seemed like nobody knew where Twinks was as several asked me. Of course I was as oblivious as they were. I walked Leo about 3 doors down the street and Twinks was staring me in the face. Eureka! I was now able to guide others to our culinary nirvana. I found Leo some shade and set him up with a dish of water. Madly dashing around the street trying to get the pictures and get an accurate count I came up with about 35. Going through the sign in book there were a few who missed it. Darting around trying my best to stay out of the way of the staff I got the indoor shots. Finally I got seated and got my order in for the obligatory bacon cheese burger and fries. Ordering that as often as I do I've become something of a bacon cheese burger connoisseur. I seldom have two that are the same and I must say this one was huge and quite tasty. It was plentiful enough for Leo to have a good sized piece, and they were quite generous with the fries. All bellies full and the tire kicking session winding down Richard had his ice cream radar up and running. Oblivious to the plan I fell in line with Richard, Denny, and Randy Gantvoort. We started to take a rather scenic route and before long we came to the town of Agenda. There's ice cream in Agenda? I didn't even know there were people in Agenda. Heck, I didn't even know there was an Agenda. We pulled into the heart of the business district and parked in front of the ice cream parlor. It was a very quaint little shop and has hand dipped ice cream. We all had a old fashioned good time and Leo even got his share. I'm still kicking myself for not getting any shots of the place.
Soon we were motoring down 81 where I had to stop in Concordia for gas. A quick pit stop and were on the road again. Randy was the first to peel off and head for Bennington, and as Crawford street came I was next, leaving Richard and Denny heading south. I pulled into my driveway cursing the garage door opener that quit responding to the remote. The last time this happened I had to replace the circuit board. It has now worn out its welcome and is on the list for replacement. I left the kennel on the bike, unloaded Leo and beat a hasty retreat for the AC.

We had 35 riders from Salina, Abilene, Junction City, Brookville, Cuba, McPherson, Enterprise, Denmark, Culver, Minneapolis, Manhattan, Hutchenson, Lindsborg, and Canton, with the long distance being Edward from Hutchinson at 134 Miles.

We were riding Honda, Harley, Yamaha, Suzuki, BMW, Kawasaki, CanAm, Victory, and Moto Guzzi.

[attachment=47]Clyde.png[/attachment]

[attachment=46]soul dance.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
Just in case you have trouble remembering where we're going this week.  Like me.
Just in case you have trouble remembering where we're going this week. Like me.
Clyde.png (157.14 KiB) Viewed 863 times
soul dance.jpg
soul dance.jpg (52.51 KiB) Viewed 669 times
101_2834.JPG
101_2835.JPG
101_2836.JPG
101_2837.JPG
101_2838.JPG
101_2839.JPG
101_2840.JPG
101_2841.JPG
101_2842.JPG
101_2843.JPG
101_2844.JPG
101_2845.JPG
101_2846.JPG
101_2847.JPG
101_2848.JPG
101_2849.JPG
101_2850.JPG
101_2851.JPG
101_2852.JPG
101_2853.JPG
101_2854.JPG
101_2855.JPG
101_2856.JPG
101_2857.JPG
101_2858.JPG
101_2859.JPG
101_2860.JPG
101_2861.JPG
101_2862.JPG
101_2863.JPG
101_2864.JPG
101_2865.JPG
101_2866.JPG
101_2867.JPG
101_2868.JPG
101_2869.JPG
101_2870.JPG
101_2871.JPG
101_2872.JPG
101_2873.JPG
101_2874.JPG
101_2875.JPG
101_2876.JPG
101_2877.JPG
101_2878.JPG
101_2879.JPG
Last edited by Roadpounder on Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
beemermark

Re: North Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 6/30/17

Post by beemermark »

Ride safe - ride with a smile. Beemer Mark
Attachments
Lunch at Clyde, Kansas, a 150 year old town.
Lunch at Clyde, Kansas, a 150 year old town.
Clyde still retains its period brick main street
Clyde still retains its period brick main street
Signs of early architecture still remain
Signs of early architecture still remain
DSCN1607.JPG
DSCN1603.JPG
DSCN1599.JPG
DSCN1602.JPG
A Norman Rockwell moment "Boys and Bikes at the air hose"
A Norman Rockwell moment "Boys and Bikes at the air hose"
Alvin Brookes, life long farmer and Clyde resident stands at the window where he would in his younger days order us his favorite ice cream.
Alvin Brookes, life long farmer and Clyde resident stands at the window where he would in his younger days order us his favorite ice cream.
DSCN1612.JPG
In 1914 Hwy9 was nothing more than a series of rutted paths in the prairie but it did have early GPS as telegraph, phone and farm posts were painted white to guide the intrepid traveler. Hence the name "The White Way". It referred to 9, a #9 bridge about 5 smiles east of Concordia.
In 1914 Hwy9 was nothing more than a series of rutted paths in the prairie but it did have early GPS as telegraph, phone and farm posts were painted white to guide the intrepid traveler. Hence the name "The White Way". It referred to 9, a #9 bridge about 5 smiles east of Concordia.
DSCN1587.JPG
DSCN1588.JPG
Hwy 9
Hwy 9
DSCN1593.JPG
Historical marker at Ames, Kansas
Historical marker at Ames, Kansas
DSCN1597.JPG
About four miles east of Concordia is a historic "U.P." rail bridge. One of only a hand full left in the United States of this design. This one and another an 1/8th mile north are part of a long gone multi rail system passing through Concordia.
About four miles east of Concordia is a historic "U.P." rail bridge. One of only a hand full left in the United States of this design. This one and another an 1/8th mile north are part of a long gone multi rail system passing through Concordia.
To find the bridge look for the only paved road going north.
To find the bridge look for the only paved road going north.
DSCN1624.JPG
DSCN1620.JPG
DSCN1614.JPG
DSCN1615.JPG
DSCN1616.JPG
DSCN1617.JPG
DSCN1618.JPG
Roadpounder

Re: North Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 6/30/17

Post by Roadpounder »

Awesome pics Mark. :D