North Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 6/21/17

Moderator: Roadpounder

Roadpounder

North Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 6/21/17

Post by Roadpounder »

Here's a place we haven't been to for quite a while. 3 years to be exact. It comes highly recommended by Richard. The weather looks like it will be toasty. It's about 70 miles from Salina.

The Tuesday morning world peace summit ended in my partial blindness. Bud came in wearing his day glow green T shirt and matching baseball cap. When I saw it the brightness blew the left lens out of my glasses. I really think you could see it from the moon. It was a screw in my glasses that let go. I did manage to find the microscopic screw but when I got home I found there were not enough threads left in the frame to put them back together. I beat hasty tracks to Walmart to seek some professional assistance. They replaced the wayward screw and restored my sight.

Now to the important news. We will be leaving for Ellinwood from the Quality Inn at 10:30.

TIME....................12:00

Here it is.............. Lone Wolf Restaurant and Catering
111 E. 1st. St.
Ellinwood, Kansas 67526

620-564-2829

Facebook Page............https://www.facebook.com/TheLoneWolfRes ... oncession/

Web Page.............

Map site.............http://bit.ly/1uLkbOc

These dogs are getting too smart for me. It's just a matter of time til Leo grabs the keys and leaves without me. He'll probably take Fritz with him. They're figuring things out on their own earlier every week. I get ready and Fritz starts scolding me. I open the door for Leo and that little black fur missile rockets out with Leo. When I load Leo on the bike Fritz is right there and he won't come back into the yard if I call him. He just sits by the bike with that smug stubborn German look on his face. I eventually coax him back into the yard but there is plenty of verbal abuse hurled my way. I'm sure that if we could translate from canine to human you'd think Fritz was a longshoreman. Leo and I set out for the Quality Inn and were the first to arrive. It wasn't long til Dave Herman rolled in, then Chuck. As we chatted and waited we noticed a distinct lack of other bikes. It was just the three of us as launch time arrived. During our chat I learned that Dave was the only one who knew how to get to Ellinwood. So via the powers vested in me as the Grand Exalted Potentate of the North Central ROMEOs, I appointed him leader. We blasted off with Dave in the lead, I was #2 and Chuck bringing up the rear. Leo was in his glory with plenty of those evil cows to protect us from. We pulled into Ellinwood, which was a larger town than I expected. We took a scenic tour around town before we found all the other bikes. Despite the poor showing at the Quality Inn there was a good turnout at the restaurant.
By the time I got the outside shots done I counted 29 bikes. Entering I found that they had several tables lined up for us and we After could all sit together. The special of the day was roast beef on bread with mashed potatoes and gravy with green beans (yuck) I passed on the beans. The rest was great. My daughter gives me grief about my dislike of green beans, but I figure I'm 66 years old and I don't have to eat beans if I don't want to. all we had a president who felt the same way about broccoli. And last time I checked I'm still the dad in that relationship. Anyway, the food was quite good and seconds were available on the special. Although I doubt that anyone took advantage of that as the portions were quite generous. There was even a good portion left over for Leo. He had a feast. While we were eating several stragglers strolled in bringing our number up to somewhere around 33. But I never did get an official count and I'm not sure everyone signed the book. With all bellies full and Leo dangerously close to a roast beef coma, we mounted up and motored out of town. I found a line of 5 or 6 bikes from Salina with Big Jim in the lead and Chuck as tail end Charlie. I joined up and and took the tail gunner position from Chuck. We motored through town at a leisurely pace which I thought would pick up once we hit the highway. As town shrunk away in my rear view mirror our pace did pick up albeit slightly. We passed a speed limit that read 65MPH with copious time to read it, as we were hovering around 45. After about 10 miles of this and several cars rocketing past us I was starting to run out of steam. With about 60 miles between me and home I decided that I had enjoyed about as much of this snails pace as I could stand. I gave my noble steed the spurs and broke into a full gallop, leaving the turtles in the dust. I needed to get home before I totally collapsed. Good weather, good food, good friends, and good ride. It don't get no better.
Vacation time.jpg
Vacation time.jpg (80.69 KiB) Viewed 392 times
Attachments
100_0985.JPG
100_0986.JPG
100_0987.JPG
100_0988.JPG
100_0989.JPG
100_0990.JPG
100_0991.JPG
100_0993.JPG
100_0994.JPG
100_0995.JPG
100_0997.JPG
100_1002.JPG
100_1006.JPG
100_1007.JPG
100_1008.JPG
100_1012.JPG
100_1014.JPG
100_1017.JPG
100_1018.JPG
100_1019.JPG
100_1020.JPG
Last edited by Roadpounder on Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kai61

Re: North Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 6/21/17

Post by kai61 »

Isn't Ellinwood where the underground restaurants and bars use to be?
May the Son embrace you and the Wind always smile upon you…