North Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 5/17/17

Moderator: Roadpounder

Roadpounder

North Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 5/17/17

Post by Roadpounder »

Here's a place we haven't been to in a little over a year. The weather seems to look good, although I say that with a little trepidation considering our recent track record. :? Hebrews in Glen Elder was good last time we were there and their Wednesday special is Chicken Fried Steak.

It's settled. We will be leaving from the Iron Skillet just north of I70 on 9th street at 10:30

TIME....................12:00

Here it is.............. Hebrews Cafe
120 S. Market Street
Glen Elder, Ks. 67446

(785) 545-3663

Facebook Page............https://www.facebook.com/HeBrewsGlenElder/?fref=ts

Web Page.............

Map site.............http://bit.ly/1uLkbOc

This week was a literal wash out. Everything looked great when we gathered at the Iron Skillet. There were 12 of us and the sky looked great and the air was warm. We launched up to 18 and headed west. That's when I spotted the first disconcerting signs. The sky looked a little ominous to the west, but we pressed on. The further we went the angrier the sky looked. By the time we got to Lincoln the temperature started to drop. I kept an watchful eye on the sky in hopes that we would skirt around the weather to the north. We finally reached to turnoff to Glen Elder and that's where the rain hit. By that time 8 of our group of 12 opted to turn back or find another place to eat. Several went to Lincoln (the smart ones). That left Terry John, Dennis and I. Terry stopped to don his rain gear. Being the minimalist in riding attire that I am, what I had I was wearing. When Terry stopped John pressed on and I followed. About 2 miles down the road I couldn't see 20 feet in front of my bike. This just isn't fun any more. I turned around and told Terry and Dennis that I was going back. Dennis followed suit. Charging south on 14 the rain intensified and the feeling of being pelted with gravel hit me in the form of hail. By this time it was downright cold and wet. I could see clearer sky ahead but it was taking an eternity to get there. The rain started to let up a little, but that was only a teaser. Then the hail started in again. After a couple of cycles of this torture we got to the intersection of 14 &18. Desperately needing a break we stopped at the gas station and C store and grabbed a little bite to eat and warm up a bit. That's where we met up with Delbert and he joined us. Poor Leo had to stay outside and endure the weather yet again as it started raining again. I had a slice of pizza and some kind of mocha thing that was strong enough to walk on its own. The rain finally quit and we headed home with Dennis in the lead. He must have been anxious to get home because he didn't take long to disappear over the horizon. I pressed on to 81 where the air was warmer and there was no sign of rain. After what had seemed like forever I got home only to find that my garage door remote had gotten wet and wouldn't work. At that point I didn't care. I just wanted to get into some dry clothes and call it a day. I'll tell you that I've been worse weather, but that was in my young and foolish days. I'm not young any more. :?
Badday.jpg
Attachments
101_2767.JPG
101_2768.JPG
101_2769.JPG
101_2770.JPG
101_2771.JPG
101_2772.JPG
101_2773.JPG
101_2774.JPG
101_2775.JPG
Last edited by Roadpounder on Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:00 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Harley Guy

Re: North Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 5/17/17

Post by Harley Guy »

Where are you leaving from. Also what time are you meeting to leave.

Harley Guy