North Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 4-11-17

Moderator: Roadpounder

Roadpounder

North Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 4-11-17

Post by Roadpounder »

I'm caught between a rock and a hard place this week. The weatherman did a bait and switch on me this week and it looks like the only good riding day is Tuesday. Not only that but the Timkin Hill Grill won't be able to accommodate us due to lack of staff. So I've been feverishly blowing my phone up trying to get something set up for Tuesday.

I did manage to get us set up with an alternative. It's been about a year since we were here and as I recall it was pretty good BBQ.

EXECUTIVE DECISION TIME! The Salina group will be leaving from the Quality Inn at 10:30.

Just to clear up any confusion the ride will be on TUESDAY 4/11

TIME....................11:00

Here it is.............. FatBoy Heaven
213 N. Concord St.
Minneapolis, Kansas

785-392-0804

Facebook Page............ https://www.facebook.com/FatBoyHeavenKS/?fref=ts

Web Page.............

Map site.............http://bit.ly/1uLkbOc

As usual for this time of year the day started out pretty cool, but the forecast looked promising. Once again I was the first to arrive at the Iron Skillet, followed closely by 10 others. Richard showed up with his latest the latest addition to his stable. A 2003 BMW R1150. I had the pleasure of giving it a little needed TLC and was happy to inform him that he did NOT make a bad purchase. I was quite impressed when I ride it. It was a vast improvement over my old R90/6. A bike that I suffered severe separation anxiety over when I sold it. After solidifying our plans for world domination we mounted up and hit the road. The day steadily improved and a great ride was staring to appear. It didn't take long for me to fall into the zone and really start to enjoy the ride. It didn't take long for Minneapolis to appear through my bug encrusted windshield. I could see it through one of the few clear spots. Quite out of character for me I paid particular attention to the route and landmarks coming into town so I could find my way out again. Suddenly we turned the corner to be met by a sea of chrome and color. Parking was abundant albeit somewhat scattered. We all got our noble steeds tied and started to file in. I handed the sign in book off to Randy Clark so he could get it started while I went snap happy. As I worked my way around the corner I noticed several of our guys surrounding a local lady. As it turned out, she saw all the bikes and came out to investigate. I joined the group and soon found that she has a Sportster that she rides and sounded quite interested in us. I continued with the photo mission and couldn't help but notice that the only 2 BMWs were parked together by themselves. One was Denny Sexon's and the other Richard Kurtz's. Bikes of a feather, maybe? Finishing up the photos I got inside I got into the meal queue. The menu was posted on a blackboard behind the register. The pulled pork sandwich looked particularly appetizing so I went for that. I scurried about to get the indoor shots before my order got served, and found an empty chair next to Chuck Reinhardt. Shortly thereafter my order appeared and I thoroughly enjoyed a melt in your mouth sandwich. Bellies full we filtered out for some serious tire kicking and lie swapping. It was time for me to bite the bullet and see if I could find my way out of town. My diligence in paying attention on the way in payed off and I found my way back to K106 without incident. Back to the freeway and home to relax after another successful mission.

We had riders from Salina, Manhattan, Hunter, Hutchenson, Sylvan Grove, Junction City, Denmark, Culver, McPherson, Lindsborg, and Canton.

Denny Sexon from Hutchenson took the long distance honors with 85 miles.

We were riding Honda, Harley, Yamaha, Suzuki, BMW, Kawasaki, and Moto Guzzi.

On the home front I decided it was time to give my Guzzi some much needed TLC, so up in the lift it went. This after I got done changing Chuck Reinhardt's tire. I went into the house to get a drink and catch my breath, and it didn't take long to realize that I was shot for the day. The next day I decided I'd tackle the project after I got done running a few errands. Not wanting to pull the bike off the lift and finding the idea of driving the truck rather distasteful, I thought I'd fire up the Quota up. After all I haven't ridden it for a long time and I did just charge the battery. I rolled the Quota out and noticed it pushed kind of hard. Time to pump the tires up. Front tire was pretty low. I noticed the rear had a chunk missing from the valve stem. Well the bike is waiting for new tires anyway, what's a new tube? Upon closer inspection I found My bike was falling victim to the same curse as Richards Ural. There were a series of cracks coming out from the spoke holes. Some of them cracked the full span between spokes. Just what I need! Throwing caution to the wind, I set out on my errands anyway. I wasn't going very far and I figured these cracks have been there for a while. It will probably hold together a little longer. When I got back home I got on my friendly neighborhood Guzzi parts web site to price a new rim. I saw the price. HERE I COME MOM AND DAD. IT'S THE BIG ONE!! $872 for just the rim! I just want a rim, not a new bike!! Carlo Guzzi is exceedingly proud of his parts. Now I'm on the hunt for a more economical alternative. Back to the blue Goose. New plugs, check the brake lining, check the oil, and tire pressure, and all the other flotsam. I bought a Guzzi because their easy to work on. Yeah Right! I started to take the left spark plug out only to fine that it started to seize after about a half turn. Last time that happened on my silver Guzzi I ended up helicoiling the head because I ripped half of the threads out. I desperately grabbed a can of penetrating oil and with the plug out a half turn out I hosed it down and worked the plug back in and out a little farther. Another shot of oil and repeat. After several cycles of this operation I managed to coax the plug out with minimal damage to the threads. Looking at the plug it was apparent that after 40,000 miles it was time for new ones. The right side was the same to a lesser degree. Apart from that everything went well.
patients.jpg
patients.jpg (37.75 KiB) Viewed 504 times
Attachments
101_2557.JPG
101_2558.JPG
101_2559.JPG
101_2560.JPG
101_2561.JPG
101_2562.JPG
101_2563.JPG
101_2564.JPG
101_2565.JPG
101_2566.JPG
101_2567.JPG
101_2568.JPG
101_2569.JPG
101_2570.JPG
101_2571.JPG
101_2572.JPG
101_2573.JPG
101_2574.JPG
101_2575.JPG
101_2576.JPG
101_2577.JPG
101_2578.JPG
101_2579.JPG
101_2580.JPG
101_2581.JPG
101_2582.JPG
101_2583.JPG
101_2584.JPG
101_2585.JPG
101_2586.JPG
101_2587.JPG
101_2588.JPG
101_2589.JPG
101_2590.JPG
101_2591.JPG
101_2592.JPG
101_2593.JPG
101_2594.JPG
101_2595.JPG
101_2596.JPG
101_2597.JPG
101_2598.JPG
Last edited by Roadpounder on Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
Parkville Rider

Re: North Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 4-11-17

Post by Parkville Rider »

I have updated the Romeo Ride map accordingly

Thanks,
Gary
Gary D.
a.k.a. Romeo Map Genie
Parkville MO
2014 BMW K1600GT
Shortyd

Re: North Central ROMEO Lunch Ride for 4-11-17

Post by Shortyd »

Gary
I think he just didn't change The 12th date by not thinking, It is tomorrow the 11th