North Central Kansas Weekly Ride 1/24/17

Moderator: Roadpounder

Roadpounder

North Central Kansas Weekly Ride 1/24/17

Post by Roadpounder »

After several attempts and meeting with failure each time I finally managed to get set up for Tuesday. It was the usual problem of closed restaurants and disconnected phones. I tried Jo Snuffy's in Abilene only to find out that on the best weather day this week, Tuesday, they're closed. I made a note in their file to that effect.

It's cast in stone. We leave from the Iron Skillet at 12:00 noon.

TIME....................1:00

Here it is.............. Coachlight Cafe
114 Weda Street
Longford, Kansas 67458

785-388-2437

Facebook Page............

Web Page.............

Map site.............http://bit.ly/1uLkbOc

This week has been a little weird. For the past two days my circadian rhythm has been a little off. I watch TV until I can keep my eyes open no longer. Then I go to bed and stare at the ceiling for two hours, until I finally relent and get up. Much to the chagrin of my canine companions. Then about three or four o'clock I collapse in my recliner only to wake at about 10AM. This has been going on for two days. I'm beginning to think that my circadian clock was made by Smith Instruments. Not only did it stop working but the hands fell off. Tuesday morning I was able to get a few hours of sleep before I got up to get ready to head to Bayrd's for breakfast. Immediately upon exiting the shower Leo expressed an intense desire to patrol the back yard. Dripping wet I made way toward the back door. Reaching the dining room one leg went one way and the other went in a totally different direction. The next thing I knew I was on the floor with Leo giving me an inquisitive look as if to ask “What are you doing down here?” It wasn't long before I realized that I'd fallen and I couldn't get up. Not due to weakness but due to the fact that whenever I put any weight on a foot it would launch off in yet another direction, It's unbelievable how slippery a wet vinyl floor is. I finally made my way over to the rug under dining room table where I could gain enough purchase to get myself back on my feet. I finished getting ready for the day and with a few hours to go I sat down to relax before launch time. The last half hour found me fighting off sleep, so when the time to head out for the ride to Longford I was already dragging a bit. Arriving at the Iron Skillet I was met by Denny Sexson on his Goldwing. I was a little surprised since I didn't know he had a Wing. I've mostly seen him on his BMW. After a short chat Terry Powell rolled in with about 5 minutes to launch time. Launch time came and it looked like the three of us were it. We went northbound on 9th street to K18 where Bruce Shields and Rich McCall fell in trail. The weather couldn't have been better as we motored down K18 to Camp road and Longford. Pulling onto Longford I noticed something that struck me as a little odd. Crossing the railroad track coming into town there is no stop sign, but on the way out there is. In the back of my mind I could hear the song Hotel California playing. We pulled in to find the early crowd there and most of us milling about on the street discussing the meaning of life. Shortly Big Jim rolled in. Apparently he got to the Skillet late or we left early, but the bottom line is we missed each other. Soon hunger took over and we started to file in. We had a pretty good crowd in the back dining room and I set off on my photo mission. Most everyone ordered off the special menu but since I got up my mouth was watering for fried chicken. Fortunately they had some thawed and could accommodate me. Soon the waitress came with a huge plate loaded with chicken, tater tots, and corn. I dove in with both feet and it really hit the spot. Another victory in my quest to rid the world of chickens. As usual I was the last one out, so I settled up and joined the tire kicking session outside. I really wanted to check out Randy Clark's new mount, a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic. In my humble opinion that's Kawasaki's finest work. A little more fat chewing and tire kicking and it was time to leave. Some of us wanted to take a more scenic route, but I was pretty well spent so I decided to backtrack back home and try my best to repair my circadian clock.

We had riders from Salina, Minneapolis, Denmark, McPherson, Hutchenson, Mannhattan, and Minneapolis. Our long distance rider was Denny Sexson from Hutchenson at 107 miles.

We were riding Honda, Harley, Yamaha, Suzuki, Ural, Kawasaki, CanAm, and Moto Guzzi.

Biofuel.jpg
Biofuel.jpg (127.53 KiB) Viewed 320 times
Attachments
101_2156.JPG
101_2157.JPG
101_2158.JPG
101_2159.JPG
101_2160.JPG
101_2161.JPG
101_2162.JPG
101_2163.JPG
101_2164.JPG