North Central ROMEO Weekly Ride for 12/13/17

Moderator: Roadpounder

Roadpounder

North Central ROMEO Weekly Ride for 12/13/17

Post by Roadpounder »

The whether has been holding better than I expected. They're promising low to mid 60s for Wednesday. Digging through the database I found this one that we haven't visited for a little over a year. So I figured I'd give it another go

It's Tuesday and our weekly meeting was quite fruitful, solving the mysteries of the universe. But more importantly we set a time and place for the ride tomorrow. We will be leaving from the Quality Inn @ 11:30. It will be a good day for a chicken connoisseur like me. :lol:

TIME....................1:00

Here it is.............. Meridy's Restaurant & Lounge
1220 S Fossil St
Russell, Kansas 67665

(785) 483-4300

Facebook Page............https://www.facebook.com/pages/Meridys- ... 7017939975
Web Page.............

Map site.............http://bit.ly/1uLkbOc

The holidays are rocketing toward us again. Wasn't it last month that we had Christmas? It seems like it was just last year that the Y2K bug was all the buzz. Now we are rocketing toward 2018, and the giggly little girl I bounced on my knee will turn 40. Now that mom is gone my sister is going in for some long delayed surgery on her knees. That will push our Christmas celebration back a few days so my niece and I can go to Missouri to help out while she is laid up. My niece will be taking care of the house and my brother in law and I'll be doing the cooking. God help us all. Her slow cooker will get a major work out. I've collected around 200 slow cooker recipes and I haven't poisoned anyone yet.

With all that swimming around in my head I still managed to get up and do my best not to trip over two wiener dogs who have a marvelous talent for being between my ankles at the most inopportune times. Either there is a panicked yelp when I step on one of them, or I wind up doing a header into the hardest thing within reach. I shooed them out the door as quickly as I could and went to check the weather and sweep out the cobwebs. I got on the ROMEO web site to find out where we were going. Mind like a steel trap. Once something gets in, it never finds it's way out. Oh yeah! Meridy's. It should be a good time. I fought the dogs off while I put my boots on. Leo knows I'm going riding and he's not coming along and Fritz just knows that I'm leaving and he's not sure I'm ever to return. When I hit the starter on the bike, it was less than enthusiastic. It had sat for the better part of a week, and when that happens, it is harder to start than I am. I really need to invest in a new battery one of these days. Fired up, gassed up I pulled into Quality Inn to meet the early birds. Eventually seven of us gathered and we launched with Terry in the lead. About a mile down the road we found Diesel Dave waiting for us and joining us as we cruised by. We pressed on until we ran out of two lane and were forced onto the freeway for the last leg. As we pulled onto the entrance ramp Randy Clark pulled over. I was going to stop and see if there was a problem, but he was waving us by so I pressed on with the rest of the folks who knew where we were going. It wasn't long before we pulled off the freeway and there was Meridy's just to the north. Getting parked I got right into the photog thing. As I worked my way to the north end of the lot I spotted Randy, Big Jim, Diesel Dave and a few others approaching from the other direction. They decided to take a more scenic route than the rest of us. Upon entering I found the buffet counter swamped by ROMEOs. It took me a while to find an opening where I could put on the feed bag. I eventually did bore my way in and found a feast which included one of my favorites, deep fried cauliflower. That accompanied by some breaded shrimp and fried chicken set me up for a poor man's surf n turf. I found a place at the table and started to dig in. Still needing to get some indoor shots I pointed my little red camera around from my firmly ensconced position. I finally got through my plate and decided it was time to send in the second wave. I took the opportunity to get the rest of the indoor shots making sure no one escaped unnoticed. As we filtered out some of us who hadn't had enough riding for the day were planning the scenic route but I opted to head back home. I was advised of another place in Russell that we could invade and decided to stop by and check them out. The place is Waudby's on main street. I found them but they were closed by the time I got there. I took pictures of their place and their posted hours and looked them up on Facebook when I got back home and they're now on the list. Now my only decision was whether to take old K40 home or just jump on the freeway back to Salina. Heading back down toward I passed some of our group heading north for their scenic ride, and I decided to hit the slab. It wasn't too long and I pulled into my garage and went inside to be accosted by two wiener dogs who were ever so grateful that they were not actually abandoned. I'm sure glad they aren't St. Bernards.

We had riders from Salina, Denmark, Sylvan Grove, Culver, McPherson, and Canton, with the long distance being Delber Schriner from Canton at 110 miles.

We were riding Honda, Harley, Yamaha, Suzuki, BMW, Kawasaki, and Moto Guzzi.

Me or Bike.jpg
Me or Bike.jpg (29.25 KiB) Viewed 451 times
Attachments
102_0869.JPG
102_0870.JPG
102_0871.JPG
102_0872.JPG
102_0873.JPG
102_0874.JPG
102_0875.JPG
102_0876.JPG
102_0877.JPG
102_0878.JPG
102_0879.JPG
102_0880.JPG
102_0881.JPG
102_0882.JPG
102_0883.JPG
102_0884.JPG
102_0885.JPG
102_0886.JPG
102_0887.JPG
102_0888.JPG
102_0889.JPG
102_0890.JPG
102_0891.JPG
102_0892.JPG
102_0893.JPG
102_0894.JPG
102_0895.JPG
102_0896.JPG
102_0897.JPG
102_0898.JPG
102_0900.JPG
102_0901.JPG
102_0902.JPG
102_0903.JPG
Last edited by Roadpounder on Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
beemermark

Re: North Central ROMEO Weekly Ride for 12/13/17

Post by beemermark »

Ride Safe - Ride with a Smile. Beemer Mark
Attachments
If you like brick streets and limestone architecture, pull off I-70 and tour Russell and enjoy Meridy's great buffet.
If you like brick streets and limestone architecture, pull off I-70 and tour Russell and enjoy Meridy's great buffet.
DSCN1941.JPG
DSCN1943.JPG
DSCN1944.JPG
It's December 13, 2017 and it's 61 degrees. You're on a motorcycle, the café had great food, great ROMEO fellowship, the sun is shining and a 35 mph tailwind to blow you the 103 miles home! Life is good!
It's December 13, 2017 and it's 61 degrees. You're on a motorcycle, the café had great food, great ROMEO fellowship, the sun is shining and a 35 mph tailwind to blow you the 103 miles home! Life is good!
DSCN1949.JPG
DSCN1950.JPG
DSCN1952.JPG
DSCN1953.JPG
DSCN1955.JPG
DSCN1956.JPG
DSCN1957.JPG
DSCN1959.JPG
DSCN1960.JPG
DSCN1961.JPG
This A&W still sports the "Drive up Service" awning. Remember the ice cold frosty mugs of REAL rootbeer on the aluminum tray hanging on the windshield of your Honda GoldWing -- or was that a 56 Ford?
This A&W still sports the "Drive up Service" awning. Remember the ice cold frosty mugs of REAL rootbeer on the aluminum tray hanging on the windshield of your Honda GoldWing -- or was that a 56 Ford?
Before the 400 dollar Ipad, you actually had to store that stuff in your brain.  Hey Lonzo?
Before the 400 dollar Ipad, you actually had to store that stuff in your brain. Hey Lonzo?