LUNCH 11 AM, SEPT. 6, DJ's Bar & Grill, Alma, KS

Moderator: Al Hayes

schoolmaster

LUNCH 11 AM, SEPT. 6, DJ's Bar & Grill, Alma, KS

Post by schoolmaster »

Looks like another great fall-like weather day for the first week of September. I've been looking for a new place in Alma since the Farmacy Cafe closed down and both Butch and Larry#3 think this one just might be a keeper so let's give this one a try and have lunch at:

DJ's Bar & Grill
510 E. 4th St.
Alma, KS 66401

They don't open until 11 but they might open just a little early to accommodate us. The Wednesday special is a cheeseburger and fries with lemonade/tea included. I think that hits right in the ROMEO sweet spot as far as menu items go! And while you're in Alma, you might as well stop by the Alma Cheese Company right next door and pick up some fresh cheese curds skimmed right off the top that day! Or pick up some of that other famous Alma cheese to take home. I found this entry online so we may be in for a treat:

We’re delighted to inform you that DJ's Bar and Grill has been selected as one of the best Bars in Kansas by Best of AmericanTowns, a property of AmericanTowns Media! Here is the link to the page: https://bestthingsks.com/bars/

And we know that besides ROMEOS, there surely are some other "best things in Kansas" so this may just be one of them. Hope to see you Wednesday in Alma, America.

Here is the link to all scheduled Romeo Rides:
http://bit.ly/1uLkbOc

And just in case you wanted to know just a little more about Alma, a German settlement community, you should probably check out this web site so you'll have something to discuss next Wednesday!
https://wabaunseecomuseum.org/2017/01/0 ... alt-works/
Attachments
2 (3).jpg
1 (4).jpg
Mick Lowe
Lawrence, Ks.

2023 Indian Roadmaster
2022 Triumph Speedmaster
joetnks

Re: LUNCH 11 AM, SEPT. 6, DJ's Bar & Grill, Alma, KS

Post by joetnks »

Hey Mick, thanks for the link to the Alma settlement. Very interesting reading.
schoolmaster

RIDE REPORT: SEPT. 6, DJ's Bar & Grill, Alma, KS

Post by schoolmaster »

I guess we can add another one to the list to visit once in awhile. Although DJ's Bar & Grill doesn't look like much from the outside, since we're not recommending places for Architectural Digest, I guess we can base our review on how good the burgers are and if they can take care of a bunch of hungry ROMEOS. They seemed to pass both of those with flying colors. Everyone seemed to enjoy DJ's, although the parking lot seemed to be a little too rustic for Larry #2 because he had a hard time finding two lines to park between because of all the gravel. But once we got him inside he seemed to do fine!

I had told David to expect somewhere between 25 and 45 and I almost got it except I believe at the last minute two more walked in for a total of 47! But that's ok because it seemed like a great day to ride and you can't beat the Flint Hills for a beautiful late summer ride. I think Alma Cheese also had a little extra business today because they are right next door and it's hard to pass up a chance to pick up some dairy fresh cheese!

Thanks to everyone who rode today! It sure was a great day to be a ROMEO!

Remember, next week is the Fall Rendezvous at the Hub. If you've not done that, you ought to give it a try. I think they still have a few rooms left. I'm going to miss the Rendezvous next week for the first time in a while because I have some things I have to take care of at home next week, but we'll still have a great local ROMEO ride next Wednesday for those of us who can't make it to the Hub!
Attachments
A pair to draw to!
A pair to draw to!
Extra gravel for the parking lot just in case it rains.
Extra gravel for the parking lot just in case it rains.
Nibblin' good cheese, right next door!
Nibblin' good cheese, right next door!
2 (4).jpg
3 (2).jpg
A little rough outside, but once you're inside, it's just like the country club!!
A little rough outside, but once you're inside, it's just like the country club!!
11 (1).jpg
These four (or is it five-look carefully at the picture)  always seem to have a good time!
These four (or is it five-look carefully at the picture) always seem to have a good time!
Looks like someone wore their tin foil hat.  You can never be to careful!
Looks like someone wore their tin foil hat. You can never be to careful!
Do you think they can substitute green beans for the fries?
Do you think they can substitute green beans for the fries?
7 (1).jpg
8 (1).jpg
Cheeseburger, fries, and lemonade for $6.50.  I think they served 47 of these today!
Cheeseburger, fries, and lemonade for $6.50. I think they served 47 of these today!
One cook (the owner) and one server and they got us all in and out in about an hour!
One cook (the owner) and one server and they got us all in and out in about an hour!
18 (1).jpg
I reminded everyone to park between the lines.  Looks like they did a good job!
I reminded everyone to park between the lines. Looks like they did a good job!
13 (1).jpg
Belly up to the bar boys!  By the time we got everyone in, there wasn't an empty chair in the place.
Belly up to the bar boys! By the time we got everyone in, there wasn't an empty chair in the place.
Had some guys from the North Central group join us today.  Glad to have them join us!
Had some guys from the North Central group join us today. Glad to have them join us!
Keith was being friendly.  I think he got the last chair!
Keith was being friendly. I think he got the last chair!
Mick Lowe
Lawrence, Ks.

2023 Indian Roadmaster
2022 Triumph Speedmaster
alyle123

Re: LUNCH 11 AM, SEPT. 6, DJ's Bar & Grill, Alma, KS

Post by alyle123 »

Sure reminds me of the NUT HUT at Altoona.

Lyle