LUNCH 11 AM July 12, Chuck & Hank's River Shack, Atchison, KS

Moderator: Al Hayes

schoolmaster

LUNCH 11 AM July 12, Chuck & Hank's River Shack, Atchison, KS

Post by schoolmaster »

I took a little ride on Friday morning and ended up in Atchison at Chuck and Hank's River Shack. We have been there before when it was owned by a different group, but I'm tellin' you, this is a whole different deal! The food was absolutely wonderful, lots of choices, portions are large and you can't beat the view. While I was there some folks pulled up in their boat and tied up and had a little lunch. Now I don't know that we've ever had a ROMEO arrive by boat, but it might happen here!

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know it's hot, but we're not a bunch of snowflakes so just get on your bike and show up for lunch and quitcherbellyachin'. They don't open for breakfast, but he said if you got there a little early they'd be ready to go a bit before 11. So if you show up at 10:30 you could probably get fed early. I got there about 11:15 on Friday, had lunch, chatted it up with Chuck (they call him Charlie) the owner, a really nice guy, and still got home and put my feet up by 1:15. Now I will tell you I didn't stop for pie, but that's where your life choices come into play!

So let's meet up around 10:30 at:

Chuck & Hank's River Shack
102 E. Atchison
Atchison, KS

I couldn't decide which food looked better, the Q or the Mexican! But there were a lot of guys havin' lunch on Friday and they couldn't decide either because it looked about half and half! But you can't go wrong either way. Don't miss this one--take it from a fat guy who doesn't ever miss lunch!!

Gary has, or will soon have, a map up at the following link:
http://bit.ly/1uLkbOc
Attachments
5.jpg
3 (1).jpg
LOTS OF SHADY SEATS OUTSIDE WITH A GREAT VIEW OF THE MIGHTY MO!
LOTS OF SHADY SEATS OUTSIDE WITH A GREAT VIEW OF THE MIGHTY MO!
2 (1).jpg
1 (1).jpg
6.jpg
IF YOU WATCH THE SPECIAL ON THE HISTORY CHANNEL THIS SUNDAY AT 8, YOU MIGHT FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENDED TO THIS LADY! OR SHE JUST MIGHT SHOW UP AT CHUCK AND HANKS!
IF YOU WATCH THE SPECIAL ON THE HISTORY CHANNEL THIS SUNDAY AT 8, YOU MIGHT FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENDED TO THIS LADY! OR SHE JUST MIGHT SHOW UP AT CHUCK AND HANKS!
SCAN0001.JPG
Mick Lowe
Lawrence, Ks.

2023 Indian Roadmaster
2022 Triumph Speedmaster
schoolmaster

RIDE REPORT: Chuck & Hank's River Shack, Atchison, KS

Post by schoolmaster »

Well it was warm today, but not too warm to keep 36 ROMEOS from descending on Atchison and Chuck and Hank's River Shack for lunch today. It actually was a very pleasant ride up there, especially when the sun stayed under the numerous clouds and there was a beautiful breeze coming off the river that made sitting on the deck and observing the scene a real pleasure. It was so nice that some chose to eat outside on the deck although there were still seats available inside. There was initially a line with people ordering but the food came out pretty quickly and it didn't seem to matter anyway because everyone just hung around and visited anyway. In fact, everyone moved to the deck after lunch and I don't think anybody left for at least 45 minutes and instead just hung out and enjoyed the company. I know I sure did.

Several headed out for pie but I chose to head home and I hit the a/c by about 1:40, just about the time it was starting to warm up outside. So thanks to the group that rode today, giving us a nice turnout for Chuck and Hank's. They were so appreciative of our group that they even brought their whole crew outside for a group picture on the deck before everyone left.

It sure was a great day to be a ROMEO!!
Attachments
Here's one for you Keith!  This is outside the visitor center downtown.
Here's one for you Keith! This is outside the visitor center downtown.
This little museum is free and worth your time!
This little museum is free and worth your time!
IMG_1163.jpg
The deck was certainly a pleasant place to wait for lunch.
The deck was certainly a pleasant place to wait for lunch.
Barb and Connie are babysitting.
Barb and Connie are babysitting.
This wine must have had a pretty high alcohol content since they were burning it!
This wine must have had a pretty high alcohol content since they were burning it!
Fresh meat!
Fresh meat!
John doing a little lunch duty.
John doing a little lunch duty.
Will he be able to make it up the hill?
Will he be able to make it up the hill?
IMG_1171.jpg
IMG_1172.jpg
That's a plate full!
That's a plate full!
The rib basket special. Two thumbs up from Rod (although it looks a little greasy and that's only one!)!
The rib basket special. Two thumbs up from Rod (although it looks a little greasy and that's only one!)!
IMG_1175.jpg
Oatmeal.
Oatmeal.
They brought in law enforcement to keep an eye on these two.
They brought in law enforcement to keep an eye on these two.
IMG_1178.jpg
Rules to live by!
Rules to live by!
IMG_1180.jpg
IMG_1181.jpg
Group pic w/0 Don. Camera man could have moved the camera just a hair to the left and gotten the leg on the left's person in!
Group pic w/0 Don. Camera man could have moved the camera just a hair to the left and gotten the leg on the left's person in!
Group pic with Don. Charlie and his crew joined us.
Group pic with Don. Charlie and his crew joined us.
The action in this picture and the one below took place over a couple of minutes.  George is being very careful to conserve his energy.
The action in this picture and the one below took place over a couple of minutes. George is being very careful to conserve his energy.
IMG_1185.jpg
Mick Lowe
Lawrence, Ks.

2023 Indian Roadmaster
2022 Triumph Speedmaster