LUNCH 11 AM, June 7, Swingin' Doors Saloon, Rulo, NE

Moderator: Al Hayes

schoolmaster

LUNCH 11 AM, June 7, Swingin' Doors Saloon, Rulo, NE

Post by schoolmaster »

Looks like a nice day to ride so we are going to Nebraska again for an Eastern Kansas ride. We haven't put on many miles to the lunch destination for the last few weeks because of the weather, but I don't think the weather is an excuse for next week. A couple of guys have mentioned having a ride up in this area, and last year we checked out this place and it was a fun ride. This is the oldest continuously working bar in the state of Nebraska. They have a nice big space and they serve both breakfast and lunch so it should work for both choices. They open at 7 AM and serve breakfast until 10:30, then switch over to lunch after that.

Alison asked me how many to expect (as always) and I told her I had absolutely no idea on this one (as always) since this was a little different ride for us. So I told her it could be anywhere from 1 (me) to maybe 35 who had nothing better to do on Wednesday morning. I guess we'll find out next Wednesday. So let's meet around 10:30 at:

Swingin Doors Saloon
126 S. 1st Street
Rulo, Nebraska 68431

According to their business card their motto is, "Food So Great You'll Scrape Your Plate!"
The Mighty Mo'
The Mighty Mo'
1.jpg (79.64 KiB) Viewed 822 times
While you're there, you need to ride across the bridge crossing the "Mighty Mo" and check out Big Lake State Park in Missouri which is only about 5 miles from Rulo or you could ride up to Nebraska City and check out the home of Arbor Day and the National Arbor Day Foundation. Or have a piece of apple pie grown from the orchards near the Lied Conference Center[and Arbor Day Foundation. Or I suppose you could just stay home and wait for Judge Judy to come on in the afternoon. (but she'll be on whether you decide to ride or not)

So why not join us next Wednesday in Rulo, NE.

Gary has, or will soon have, a map up at the following link:
http://bit.ly/1uLkbOc
Sure do miss this guy!  He really liked this ride to Rulo!
Sure do miss this guy! He really liked this ride to Rulo!
2.jpg (71.93 KiB) Viewed 822 times
Mick Lowe
Lawrence, Ks.

2023 Indian Roadmaster
2022 Triumph Speedmaster
TomK

Re: LUNCH 11 AM, June 7, Swingin' Doors Saloon, Rulo, NE

Post by TomK »

If you ride through the Indian Reservation be certain to watch for speed limit changes and do not speed. Speeders are a target for Reservation Police. FWIW.
schoolmaster

RIDE REPORT: June 7, Swingin' Doors Saloon, Rulo, NE

Post by schoolmaster »

What a perfect day to ride it was, and the ride to Rulo is one of the better ones we take. The ride on KS 7 from Atchison to the Nebraska state line and then the county road from there to Rulo is truly scenic along the Missouri River and one of my favorites in the Midwest. I tried to count the gallons of water floating down the Missouri but they were going to fast and there were just too many to count! That's just a lot of water!!

But Hoser counted 30 motorcycles on Rulo's main drag and there were over 30 ROMEOS inside enjoying the chow. Food at the Swinging Door is definitely worth the ride-I didn't hear any complaints. I think the staff at the Swinging Door was pretty glad to have us, that's for sure!
They had their duck all in a row.
They had their duck all in a row.
Hozer getting loosened up for the count!
Hozer getting loosened up for the count!
IMG_1032.jpg
Tough town, tight security.  Guard dogs everywhere.
Tough town, tight security. Guard dogs everywhere.
Not a lot of action today at the Rulo Auditorium/Gymnasium.
Not a lot of action today at the Rulo Auditorium/Gymnasium.
IMG_1038.jpg
George is getting some miles on that new Triumph.
George is getting some miles on that new Triumph.
IMG_1042.jpg
IMG_1043.jpg
Oh man! I left Joanie back at the Caseys in Atchison!!
Oh man! I left Joanie back at the Caseys in Atchison!!
IMG_1045.jpg
Now look Al, I've explained this to you a million times!!
Now look Al, I've explained this to you a million times!!
The BIG breakfast.
The BIG breakfast.
IMG_1048.jpg
IMG_1049.jpg
IMG_1050.jpg
IMG_1052.jpg
IMG_1053.jpg
IMG_1054.jpg
IMG_1064.jpg
IMG_1066.jpg
IMG_1067.jpg
IMG_1072.jpg
IMG_1079.jpg
IMG_1081.jpg
IMG_1082.jpg
Oldest bar in Nebraska.
Oldest bar in Nebraska.
Count completed.  His work is done. Time to head home.
Count completed. His work is done. Time to head home.
Bait shop didn't open until noon.  Big line.
Bait shop didn't open until noon. Big line.
Thanks for riding today. It was a great day to be a ROMEO!
Mick Lowe
Lawrence, Ks.

2023 Indian Roadmaster
2022 Triumph Speedmaster